My First Virus - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My First Virus

Got my first virus on the first PC i had (was already install when i got the PC)
    Remember a nice and kind user must be up to something

auxegro

Originally posted by FooL:
    I was in the living room watching the tube when my wife got our first virus. She called me into the computer room and told me to look at all the pretty fireworks on the screen. (Happy99)

Since then, she's been regularaly infecting us. Now, I have it set to scan all e-mail on the way in because she won't get the idea through her head that attachments from people you don't know are bad.

I'm running W2K at home and she's one virus away from me figuring out how to make a profile for her that has ABSOLUTELY UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ANY PERMISSION WHAT-SO-EVER TO WRITE TO THE HARDDRIVE. And if that doesn't stop her, I'm considering a pad lock to the computer room door.
    I seem to have very few problems with my home computer, viruses included. The secret... I am the only one that uses my computer. Everyone else I know that has semi-literate family members as users get all sorts of problems at least a few times a month.

Originally posted by FooL:

Since then, she's been regularaly infecting us. Now, I have it set to scan all e-mail on the way in because she won't get the idea through her head that attachments from people you don't know are bad.

I'm using outlook 2000 with all the security update's and it won't let you send or receive what it refers to as "unsafe attachments". Perhaps if you could implement this far less viruses would strike.

Originally posted by AlienDyne:
    Your first one???
    My machine has been infected about 10 times!!

(Moved to the Tech Tales forum)
    I haven't gotten hit, oh problably shouldn't have said that, "runs off to find a piece of wood to knock on"
    Where's that smoke coming from ?

Originally posted by TheoneDKS:
    My computer at work seems to get the brunt of any viruse attack. No matter how fresh I keep the antiviruse. But thats okay, I can reload it quick, (Ghost is a wonderfull thing).
    My companies network is a breeding ground for virii! I mean, Symantec and CA should come to us to do their research. I refuse to connect my personal laptop to the company network for that exact reason, even though I religiously maintain the AV updates on all of my personal machines.

I think part of the problem is that many large companies with huge networks have a staff of developers and admins that are responsible for testing new apps and upgrades and repackaging them for their distribution services (ie SMS, Tivoli, or whatever). This process usually takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for AV updates. During that time new strains of known virii can find their way into the network before the AV update is applied. The only time an emergency update is applied is when a massive destructive virus becomes famous and makes the news (ie Love Bug or Melissa). Even emergency updates take 24 hours to repackage and distribute (longer if the update contains changes in the AV app itself). An emergency update usually do not take effect until the user reboots (which is NEVER in my company because the distributed computing guys tell everyone to NEVER shut down their machine, but to log off.)

Sorry to get a little off topic there, but I know there are others who face the same problem at work and I just wanted to offer my take as to why large companies fall victim to major virii.

And yes...."virii" is the correct plural for virus (not "viruses").
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

only thing close to a virus I've eve had is the antivirus software detecting my killbios software as a "trojan horse"
    WHAT THE **** ARE YOU READING MY SIGNATURE FOR?!?

ONCE A GEEK ALWAYS A GEEK...

Originally posted by Nicholas 'Raijen' Furniss:
    Is it just me; or do a LARGE porportion of virii coming to other people come from Japan or Hong Kong as well? 8 of the last 10 attempts originated there.
    It's not just you. According to the Register, Chinese hackers have been stepping up their efforts as a retaliation against the US overstepping what the Chinese feel were their bounds. Just what we need. A country with very intelligent crackers all mad at us.

I have yet to be infected at home, but some idiot at work still keeps inadvertently sending out Melissa variants, despite IT's best efforts to quash them.

I do have somewhere an old 5.25 incher labeled "VZoo" that I think is where I keep for a few old DOS-based virii. (I don't own a 5.25" drive any more, so I have no idea what's really on it!)
    #include <disclaimer.h>: I didn't do it, nobody saw me, you can't prove anything, I swear I checked her ID first, and the opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employer.

Originally posted by AlienDyne:
    Your first one???
    My machine has been infected about 10 times!!

(Moved to the Tech Tales forum)
    You should really try condoms.
    "We have assumed control"