PCCHIPS M729 BIOS flashed wrong

Thread: PCCHIPS M729 BIOS flashed wrong

Unhappy PCCHIPS M729 BIOS flashed wrong

I flashed my M729 motherboard with M726 BIOS. Now it doesn't work. So I tried the BIOS chip in an M726MRT mainboard but it hangs at "checking NVRAM" so I can't find a way to reflash it with anything else. Does anyone want to trade me an M729 BIOS chip for an M726 BIOS chip? Or does anyone know how or where I can get an M729 BIOS chip cheaply? I'm not going to spend a mint on this.

Red face

I take it. You didn't back up the old BIOS.
    Lemme check around the shop. I might have one to give ya.
    Would you like fries with that?

Originally posted by Mike300:
    So I tried the BIOS chip in an M726MRT mainboard but it hangs at "checking NVRAM"...
    Did You try to reset CMOS?

1.You can try reflashing M729 BIOS in M726 motherboard (with hot-swap) using some of my BIOS tips.
    Check out my topic for more info.
    For example You can try "uniflash" utility or AMIflash with rewriting all,including boot block,disabling checking for compatibility and so on. All depends on what BIOS chip type are You using. I can e-mail You all mentioned utilites,if You want.

I backed up the old BIOS file. Also I can download it any time from the website. But with the BIOS that is on the chip right now, I don't have a motherboard that will boot up properly with it, well enough so that I can flash it again.

OK, let me see if I understand something here about a hot swap. By coincidence I have a working computer using M729 mainboard. So if I boot it up to command prompt only, then can I remove the BIOS chip while the computer is running? Then would I replace with the bad BIOS chip and use AMIflash on it? If you guys say this works I'll do it!!!!

I tried reset BIOS a couple times and nothing changed.

Wildman, if I'm not successful here, let me know if you round up a chip with M729 on it. Maybe we can trade. Need a new USB mouse?

excuse me......reset CMOS.

Originally posted by Mike300:
    So if I boot it up to command prompt only, then can I remove the BIOS chip while the computer is running? Then would I replace with the bad BIOS chip and use AMIflash on it?
    Yes,You can do it. Worked for me more than 800 times - I doing it on daily basis.
    But did You read my post what I have mentioned http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...&f=17&t=005214 ?

But You should run flash utility from clear DOS 6.22 or 7.10,not from DOS box from Windows.

Press F8 key while booting PC,then choose "command promt only".
    Or make MS DOS bootable (good,reliable!) disk,copy flash util and image files on that disk and boot from that floppy. Follow flashing instructions! Do not hesitate to ask me, if something not clear for You - reflashing BIOS - it's quite dangerous operation.

Ruslan, I did the hot swap, flashed it and it works great! I'm using my newly flashed BIOS chip in this computer right now. Well now I really learned something useful. Thanks for all the help.