Free work?!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free work?!

Wink Free work?!

Here is one..

a guy came in saying he was having trouble installing a CDR (about 2 weeks ago). Asked if we could install it for him. We said sure it's $70.

He has no problem.
    We install it, and he asked if it went smooth.
    We say yes, just connect it up, install the software, and make CDs all day.
    Now he says "If it was easy, I shouldn't have to pay"
    I just stair at him with a blank face for about a full second... "umm, but sir, you did not know how to install it. That is why you braught it to us."
    he replys right away "yes, but it has a manual. That should tell you how."
    another second of disbelief "Umm, yeah, it does. But you wanted us to install it, right?"
    "Yes, and I'm sure you did a good job. I just don't feel I should pay for something easy."
    "Do you pay for an oil change?"
    "Nah, my neighbor does it for free."
    "I'm in a for profit business. Your neighbor isn't."
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.
    For about 30 min on and on and on.

I finally get tired and ask if he is picking up his computer or not, in a stern voice.

His responce is, "Nah, I'm just going to stand here and waste your time until I get it for free."

Well at least he is honest.

btw his computer is under my desk. Not a bad unit. he comes in about every other day for 20-30 min at a time. Been over 2 weeks now. Kinda sad really.

Thinking of giving it back to him anyway.
    Should I?
    ---
    Jon Hutto

You sure should. With the CDR in the box it came in ,all the software uninstalled, and no docs of what you did. Give it back with a smile. I mean if it is so easy, then I am sure as a smart adult with the little maunal he should have no problem doing it himself.

Although if you want to be sorta mean, then you could also do everything to the system to make it a nightmare to actually burn a disc. Like frament the hard drive, set it on a nice screen saver like maze, turn off dma on all drives, be sure they have virus software going, ect and so on. Nothing to that will hurt the system, just all the wrong conditions to burn cds.

[This message has been edited by lysergic (edited October 06, 1999).]

Wink

Yes i agree with the last posting you should give it back to him with the CDR pulled out and all software that came with it... Hand it to the customer and tell him to have a nce day I have done this to severall customers that felt they shouldent have to pay ...

Normally, I might give in to this AH. In this case, however, I would tell him the next time he comes in, that all the time that he causes you to waste will be added to his final bill. Tell him that this is a legitimate charge for consultation. I would also tell him that if he wants the unit back without the drive, there will be an un-install charge. And that he is accruing storage charges for his machine. After 30 days you will sell the machine for repair costs, etc. You may get so frustrated that you give in, but I would certainly rattle his cage first.

If you do give in Lysergic has some fine suggestions. Obviously this guy has pulled this BS before and it has worked.

------------------
    Are we havin' fun yet?

[This message has been edited by Grafman (edited October 07, 1999).]
    Are we havin' fun yet?

Thumbs up

I offered to give it back to him uninstalled, and he came back with "How about $20?" In front of him and another customer, I laughed. After a few min, the other customer told him to pay, and quit wasting my time.

He payed, and I gave the other customer a discount. :-)
    ---
    Jon Hutto

THe storage fee and uninstall fee are just plain mean. Heh heh heh. Have to remember that one....

MuscleMan

We have had customers try that crap before... there are multiple ways to handle it. First is to just take the part out and give it to him. Second is to hold the machine until payment is made, after a while charge holding fee's. If the customer complains that's his problem... The customer has no legal recourse, he hired you and tried to rip you off, theft of services. illegal. I hate people who do that.

I hate people who pull this kind of crap. I've had more than my share of them.

#1 Lady hired me to repair her network troubles that a previous tech screwed up.This required me to remove all protocols on all machines, reinstall plus files that were deleted etc. After doing that and repairing a home machine she had a bill of about 1,000.00...well she didn't wanna pay the bill. I held her repaired and upgraded pc as a mechanic's lien. She called the cops and they laughed at her. One good thing always have them initial or sign a work order!

My .02 cents worth!
    Jeanne
    "The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible."-Albert Einstein

Here's an idea for you. Take it out and give to him in the box but keep the hard drive for your labor. Say hey, I got to eat! So I took your hard drive out as payment and put it on ebay!

Cool

Ya know, this is a facet of the nature of some folks that has always intrigued me. These jerks always seem to make a lot of money, but they really expect you to work for free. I can take about anything from anyone and keep my cool, but an arrogant, overbearing, cheapskate, etc., etc., SOB fires me up every time. I am fortunate in that, whenever someone says: "I want to talk to the boss!", I can say, "You're talkin' to him right now!" Surprise!! If you're going to have to fight for your rightful pay, or have to hassle with these ( insert your favorite epithet here )over repairs, then truly, you are better off without their business, and I tell 'em so.

You have to realize that, after you have jumped through the hoops and given them everthing they want, these *&^%$# will not respect you, and they'll go and bad mouth you, and brag about how you tried to skin them but they straightened you out good!
    Who needs it?

------------------
    Are we havin' fun yet?
    Are we havin' fun yet?

texasred

try this one on for size
    we sell this guy a system,he goes to another company to get his extra stuff like printers,scaners,ect.ect...
    has us install it (but buys the wrong stuff )
    so we have to order converion parts,
    give him the bill,he signs it puts it onto his credit card,then tells the cc company he did'nt ok it
    tells us he will pay a lowered bill only
    plus wants us to pay for his traing.
    we are still in court over this one....

Darren Wilson

My ex-employers wanted me to work for free

I don't mind helping Windrivers for free but when it means ' getting my hands dirty ' then.........

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

Darren Wilson

My ex-employers expected me to work for free

I don't mind helping Windrivers for free but when it means ' getting my hands dirty ' then.........

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

There is a difference between spending 5 min a day answering a couple questions on a web site, and spending 30min or more working on a computer.

Only people I don't charge is family.
    ---
    Jon Hutto

Had one of these people today. We do an upgrade for him (mobo, cpu, harddrive, and 98 upgrade) and hand him the bill. He gets this shocked look on his face wondering why we would charge him for labor? What are these people thinking? Wish I could go to the car dealer and just pop my money down for a rebuild kit and have them pop it in for me....

For family I do charge a good meal, or at least make them pay the long distance charges. For freinds, lots of times free cause they are the one that pay for my new parts while they get my old ones (Hey, a 3 month hard drive is still a bargin when it includes instilation).