[RESOLVED] Plug and Play OS setting in BIOS

Thread: [RESOLVED] Plug and Play OS setting in BIOS

ahasuerus

Question Plug and Play OS setting in BIOS

Question: How important is it to set the 'Plug and Play OS' setting in the BIOS to 'yes'?

Problem: My sound card does not output sound when the 'Plug and Play OS' setting is 'yes'. All indications in the system device manager show that there are no conflicts and that all devices are operating properly. When 'Plug and Play OS' is set to 'no', the sound card works fine and there seems to be no obvious problems in my computer's operation. I use Windows 98 which is a PnP OS, so I would normally assume that the BIOS should be set to 'yes'. Since that doesn't work, I set it to 'no'. Does it really matter?

System specs:
    FIC VA503+ motherboard
    ATI Rage Fury Pro AGP graphics adapter
    Digicom PCI DI3635 modem
    AOpen ISA AW37 sound card
    Adaptec SCSI AHA1542 ISA
    NEC CD ROM 501 (4x)
    Western Digital 5GB HD using EZ BIOS
    AMD K6-2 500 processor
    96 MB Generic PC100 SDRAM
    17" PnP Monitor
    Windows 98 4.10.1998
    VIA 4-in-1 4.23

BadCache

If it works set to "no" I would not worry about it.

------------------
    Bill Gates? I never heard of him. Is he famous or something?

ive wondered the same thing myself.
    But ur not gettin the answer to your question! Hehe...sorry

LuvNCustomers

Originally posted by ahasuerus:
    Question: How important is it to set the 'Plug and Play OS' setting in the BIOS to 'yes'?

Problem: My sound card does not output sound when the 'Plug and Play OS' setting is 'yes'. All indications in the system device manager show that there are no conflicts and that all devices are operating properly. When 'Plug and Play OS' is set to 'no', the sound card works fine and there seems to be no obvious problems in my computer's operation. I use Windows 98 which is a PnP OS, so I would normally assume that the BIOS should be set to 'yes'. Since that doesn't work, I set it to 'no'. Does it really matter?

System specs:
    FIC VA503+ motherboard
    ATI Rage Fury Pro AGP graphics adapter
    Digicom PCI DI3635 modem
    AOpen ISA AW37 sound card
    Adaptec SCSI AHA1542 ISA
    NEC CD ROM 501 (4x)
    Western Digital 5GB HD using EZ BIOS
    AMD K6-2 500 processor
    96 MB Generic PC100 SDRAM
    17" PnP Monitor
    Windows 98 4.10.1998
    VIA 4-in-1 4.23

The way I understand it, you will beable to share IRQ's easier if you release control of them to Windows. I am not sure about the problem with your sound card but did you uninstall it and reinstall it when you changed the bios setting? It is possible it created a conflict and by reinstalling it, windows might correct it. The only time I turn the Plug-n-Pray bios off is when using NT or if I really have a hard time sorting out IRQ's and I want to manually control them.

ahasuerus

Cool

Thanks for the replies, y'all. So, if I understand correctly, setting PnP OS to 'yes' allows Windows 98 to set the IRQ's instead of the BIOS. Is that right? Well, after checking the MS System Information, I noticed that I have five devices on IRQ 9 and IRQ 10 is free. Also, IRQ's 14 and 15 share two devices each. The devices on IRQ 9 are two modem devices(different device descriptions for the same modem; one is the modem and the other is a modem manager), the ATI AGP card, and two IRQ holder for PCI steering devices. I suppose that if it isn't broke, I shouldn't fix it. But, as a matter of curiousity, what do you guys think?