Ever seen a bad CPU? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever seen a bad CPU?

Only ever seen one bad AMD chip, a 350 K6/2 tha someone had tried to overclock. It actually still works but only in DOS. As soon as you put it into a machine running Windows, or else try to install Windows, it just gives protection errors all over the place. Never actually had a bad CPU out of the box that i can remember...
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

I have 2 AMD 133 here. and still working. just for typing and surfing.
    WARNING
    :: I am NOT held responsible for any damages on your coumputer. ::

One PII 233 bad right out of the box.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

Only a pentium 75, I think someone tryed to over clockit without a big enough heat sink.

DDDWarp

I have seen only one PII bad out of the box. It would work for 2 min and then quit. I have seen allot (over 10) Cyrix and I hated them with a passion. I have seen about three bad K62s.

I will not include the number of people who have tried to return CPUs after they have overclocked, put them in the wrong MBs or set the voltage wrong. I would never overclock a K62 but people keep trying. Last week I had a customer bring his system for warranty and he had his K62 350 clocked to 500. He was wondering why the system would lock-up after three minutes.

Cool

I've just sent a K6-2 back that arrived with bent pins. A couple of old Penitum 1's but thats about it.
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

carrienscott

Cool

I've seen several Evergreen overdrive chips, some Cyrix cpu's, a few AMD and only one Intel... Not to mention the processors fried by the poor motherboard design of Packard Bell...

I've had pretty good luck with AMD and INTEL but a couple of years ago we used Cyrix and only 1 of 5 were ever good.

Cyrix = JUNK

Originally posted by Ruslan:
    ...a few fried AMD K6-2 2,2v processors mostly due to problems with core voltage regulators on motherboards.
    ...also a lot of Cyrix,IBM and Winchip CPUs - due to problems with overheating (problems with fans).
    ...also Intel's CPUs - due to over-over-clocking.
    Ditto, except the winchip. Haven't seen many of those.

Most recent was a Celeron 400 that lost the cooler. Melted the underside of the processor and the socket was black.
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

Smile

Ive almost seen bad everything especially Cyrix 686 chips.

Intel chips are quite reliable

Early in my tech career I actually broke a cpu pin off a P75 which my boss at that time was able to fix by soldering something back in its place and it went - sweet as

Another P75 a customer of our had running inside their pc for about 3 months without a fan - they didnt know it needed one, The motherboard ended up dead. But plugged the cpu into another mb and away she went

An AMD K6-2 300 from my Winbook laptop.(cracked in two)An AMD T-Bird 1.1G, haven't seen any Intel chips DOA.
    My 'ole Cyrix P-200 still chews it's gum pretty well tho I don't run it too much anymore.
    It's all fun and games...ain't it?

A couple yrs ago I found several K6-2s in one shipment that had bad L1 cache, never saw an Intel bad out of the box, Never saw a good Cyrex out of the box.
    The Dragon has left the building.

unikey

loads of cyrix's ibms IDT's intel's and 3 amd's (2 of the k6's)

Simon

I had someone bring me a PC that no longer worked and smelled bad. When I opened it up there was a lot of black on the motherboard and I pullled the CPU fan and there were 2 parts of the CPU. It was an IBM/Cyrix 686 cpu

Intel 386-P4 no problems, except the Celeron Slot 1s.. if you (or the id10ts at the wholesaler) touched the cache area, oil from your skin would burn the chip... Intel failure rate long term (due to faulty CPU) is ~0.1%

AMD 386-K7 very rare failure, mostly caused by motherboard cooking with too much voltage (watch this on PCChips mobo's) or heat (people think they can use their 3-yr-old HSF on their new CPU.) AMD failure rate long term (due to faulty CPU) is ~0.5%

IDT are hardly ever bad, they just dont work very well, but they do work

Cyrix, oh poor Cyrix... whatever IBM did between the "Blue lightning" 486 and the crappy Cyrix days must have been a bad idea. Failure on Cyrix is AT LEAST 25%

I only used Cyrix for a year or so, right after IBM dropped them and before they were picked up by VIA, so your experience may be better or worse depending.

After 13 years of teching around I cannot say anything bad about Intel or AMD.
    ---
    Back with a vengeance.
    ---
    Try Windows Vista, the CE.ME.NT eXPerience...