[RESOLVED] What is the Value of A+ and other certs??

Thread: [RESOLVED] What is the Value of A+ and other certs??

d_dcomp

Question What is the Value of A+ and other certs??

I have a question for you guys out there, I own a small computer shop in a small town. Basically anyone that doesn't hate me calls me to fix their computer problems, now I am not bragging or anything like that, I am just curious as to what the A+ courses teach that I might benefit from? Because honestly there isn't much that comes in that I can't fix within an hour. And component level servicing on computer products just isn't worth my time, not that it couldn't be done, but what's the point. So anyways if someone out there could tell me what the A+ cert and other hardware certs have to offer I would appeciate it.

Or any of the certs besides Cisco for that matter?

Jallentino

The only thing they are good for is getting a job. A+ is basic. If your a competent tech you can walk in and pass it. All I can say about certs is that they make you more marketable for job oppurtunities. Lot's of employers place high importance on them. This forum is full of comments about certs, hit the search button on the top of the page and you will have all you can read on your screen.

I actually had a customer look at my A+ certificate I have hanging on the wall and say, "Well, that makes me feel more comfortable."

------------------
    ***the Beast
    - Fate drove me here...then told me to get out of the car...
    ***the Beast
    - That's right...uh-huh... Who's laughing now? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

gren

Do a little studying and pass your A+ for kicks. You might learn something when studying... Remember.. no matter how well you think you know something, there's always more to learn. Things like knowing to buy a certain PCI Network card because it'll share an IRQ for a system that doesn't have IRQ free is an example of something you might normally know but come to understand thanks to a little studying for tests like the A+.

There's ALWAYS more you can learn.

d_dcomp

Red face

Thanks for all the input, I didn't mean for it to sound like I couldn't learn any more, that is far from the truth!

Well ok this leads to the next question what is the best way to study for the certs? I already have several books including the entire Netware series, some of the microsoft msce books and a few others, that I always refer to in a pinch, but I was wondering if there is someplace you can find sample questions etc.

Valyrian

Smile

this is all thats needed if you already know your stuff. it just covers the parts that you really don't think about when your working on most systems.
    http://cramsession.brainbuzz.com/cer...us/default.asp

no value
    unless you change jobs like clothing - you will never see any ral increase of payrate due to a cert.
    besides - a cert doesnt say you really know anything - look at the previous posting - doing a cram will NOT teach you anything.
    get some experience!