[RESOLVED] Stupidest way to flash a bios
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Stupidest way to flash a bios

Compudoc

Cool Stupidest way to flash a bios

I have been doing this business for about 3 years. I went to a customers house. On one side of the room he had an amd K6-2 cpu @300mhz running some sort of flight simulator. On the other side he had an AMD Athlon @ 700mhz. The smaller K6-2 ran the game perfect. The Athlon was choppy. I looked at this and that. I updated his drivers, checked for other programs in ram, ect. Nothing worked. I explained to the customer that he had a first generation Athlon chipset, and that a bios flash may help. So I figure out what board it is, and download a Bios flash. I copied to a clean boot disk, and proceeded. Well I loaded the flash program from the floppy, and typed in the bios image name in the box. The pc reported it cannot read the image. I tried and tried. Then I remembered that I have a copy on the Hard drive. So I typed in the location on the Hard drive. I knew there was a problem when it took less than a second to flash the bios. Needless to say I got a black screen after reboot. Its a constant reminder that I am human

Nah, the stupidest way to flash the BIOS is to hit it with a hammer. we are all human dood. sometimes we think to hard about a situation and forget the proper procedures......

Other times, We can just do a complete Brain fart.
    Some days you are the dog, some days you are the Hydrant.

visit http://www.digifuge.com

Indigo

I have flashed from the HDD many, many, many times.. never a problem. In fact I prefer to flash from the HDD.

LargeLarry

how do you flash from the HD? I got a dead computer here cause the bios update program froze, I rebooted and it won't read a floppy. I push the on button and all i get is a blank screen and nothing happens. Thanks.

AnyTwo

Smile

Stupid ways to flash the BIOS; well I'd put on some sexy music, step up real close to the motherboard and slowly pull my shirt up......

Sorry, I just couldn't resist - it's been one of those daze.

Indigo

Flashing from the HDD: Download the bios image and flash util. Place them in c:\bios or whatever you want to call it. Make sure you extract the bios image if its exe'ed or ziped. Reboot and hit F8 and goto safe mode command promt. Type cd bios <E> then flash.exe "bios name" <E> follow instructions on screen.. Thats it.. Reboot!

When I did my first BIOS flash about 4 years ago, I followed the manufacturer's directions and flashed from a floppy. Something didn't go right - the system would boot, but I lost the floppy controller. And where was the backup of the previous BIOS? You guessed it - on the floppy disk. Since then I have always flashed from the hard drive and have never had another failure.

------------------
    Steve Taylor - Instructional Computing Tech
    North Idaho College
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

[This message has been edited by stevet (edited September 19, 2000).]
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Stupidest way to flash a bios was shown to me first hand by a Packard Bell phone support technician. I could not get the onboard modem to disable by following the instructions in the manual (a common problem, I found) and my boss demanded that I call PB tech support. I got a "Technician" on the phone who wouldn't give me an extension, name or tech#. He told me to jumper pins 26 and 24. The manual specifically said "DO NOT jumper pins 24 and 26". I told him the manual said not to. His response "I am a certified PB tech and I'm telling you to jumper 24 and 26". I did, turned on the machine and the BIOS was flashed with smoke and flames. Then he hung up. PB claimed no responsibility and my boss was out a new PB mobo.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Doctormike

Lightbulb

You all know that if you have a bad flash, you can still boot the machine while holding the "INS" key down while powering the computer, It will Boot the computer in Basic Bios Mode..(BBM) from there you will be able to read from a floppy only.. I learned this tip due to a bad flash. Way I looked at it was i had nothing to lose, but it worked!

Doctormike

Lightbulb

Originally posted by LargeLarry:
    how do you flash from the HD? I got a dead computer here cause the bios update program froze, I rebooted and it won't read a floppy. I push the on button and all i get is a blank screen and nothing happens. Thanks.
    Do you have the old bios file on floppy?
    If you do check my message on this topic, if any questions you can email me at [email protected]

LargeLarry

Thanks for the info. I had a bad flash and i turn it on and nothing.. I mean NOTHING happens. Power light comes on... that's it. It's in the closet, but I'm gonna get it out and try the INS key trick I got the bios on a floppy. I'll let you know what happens.

LargeLarry

well.. didn't work. I set the computer up, plugged everything in and turned it on, held down the INS key, and nothing. power comes on, HD spins (doesn't try to read it though)and the monitor is blank. Doesn't try to read the floppy. It's a NEC 9847. PB810(FM530) motherboard. 266 cyrix chip. Computer crashed during flash from floppy and it's been dead ever since. I sat there looking at the screen for about 30min. The update was frozen at about 60 percent. I knew if i shut it off it was dead, but what else could i have done. So, i turned it off. I bought a new computer right after that, but I'd still like to get the dead one running. Any other suggestions? Thanks !

shawnMt

The only thing I've ever known the INS trick to do is load bios defaults on some boards.

------------------
    GENERAL FAILURE READING DRIVE A:
    (A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer?

Paint your old laptop!

Originally posted by shawnMt:
    The only thing I've ever known the INS trick to do is load bios defaults on some boards.

That's right. It won't bring back any bios defaults after the bios has been hosed by a bum flash.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.

allright , this little trick has made me much money in the past...

find a BIOS chip from any motherboard that works , as long as the core logic set is the same , and the bios manufacturer is teh same.If is an award get an award , if its ami , get an ami , you get the picture.

put the working chip in the mother board , and fire it up. this should allow you to boot from the floppy.With the machine booted and still on PULL the bios on the fly CAREFULLY! plug the old bios chip in and attempt a reflash.

at worst , you've scrapped two boards , at best it will work flawlessly.

CIH taught me how to do this , and since i was the only one that could actually fix cih damage , all the local places shot their customers to me.
    Life is good...sometimes...