[RESOLVED] boneheads

Thread: [RESOLVED] boneheads

grasshopper

Post boneheads

here's a good one where the end user sounds right... a lady brought her machine into the shop for various repairs. After speaking with her, she had said she bought the machine from Best Buy (mistake #1) and had been having problems with it immediately. I told her she should return it for warranty (she had purchased the 3 year extended thing). She said she did bring it in, and the tech (so-called) told her that the warranty was void because she had - get this - added software! By the way, the software was purchased from Best Buy. Where the hell do they get these people?...

My favorite is still calling Packard Bell tech support (only at the demand of my boss) and having the Packard Bell technician walk me step by step through setting fire to the mobo. When he heard what had happened he hung up and could never get a response from Packard Bell.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

AFJuvat

Exclamation

They just had a thing on 48 hours last week about the "Best Buy Extended Warranty" It would seem that they DON"T cover ANY software problems (which is what usually is the problem on a new machine).

Has anyone ever, just for fun, gone into a store like Best Buy and wandered around the computer department, heard a salesman give erroneous information to a customer, and then jump in correcting the salesman and launching into a detailed technical explanation of the computer?

After a minute or so, you have the would be customer hanging on your every word, and the salesman with his eyes glazed over, nodding his head.

AFJuvat

File Not Found, Should I Fake It? (Y/n)

What I love is seeing a computer reboot in a Department/Mass Sales store (power failure, whatnot). I wandered over to a pair of expensive machines and held the shift keys (safe mode). I got a kick because the salespersons (obviously not techs) couldn't figure it out! Blotchy backgrounds, big icons.

------------------
    "uhm...I'll be over there...in the corner near the rocket launcher spawn point" snickersnickersnicker
    "What would anybody want with a blind dog?"

The best:

I used to work for Circuit City back in the day of P233s being top 'o the line. Most of our customers were families or college students.

One older gent came in and bought a great system from a younger salesman. Sony VAIO 233, 17' Trinitron, scanner, laser and color printer, whole nine yards. We had the identical system set up on an endcap and he fell in love with it. After installing the Office and scanning software, the salesman sent it home with him and counted his cash. Ahhh, bliss.

Two days later this man was ranting and raving on the phone, "This damn thing is a piece of crap...Can't scan...piece of..." After he vented, he wanted to come in there and see the manager. He must have talked himself into a rage on the way over here, because he was fuming on the way in the door. After the manager calmed him down they came back out on the sales floor. Since we had an identical setup on the endcap, we asked him to show us how he was trying to scan items, figuring the pages were faceup, scanner not turned on, software not working, etc.

The man proceeds to get a document, start the scanning software, make sure the scanner is turned on, and we're amazed so far. He clicks the 'prescan' button and proceeds to press the document to the MONITOR GLASS and hold it with his HAND!

Regardless, the salesmen quickly cleared out, to get water, a drink, a snack, a smoke...any excuse. When the gentleman understood his mistake he headed back to the house and we never heard another word from him.
    "What would anybody want with a blind dog?"

Yeah , i was at Best Buy a while back (i was out of my home territory , couldnt get parts from ANYWHERE else). A guy walks up , and asks the counter person if they have tape backup systems.First the sales guy says no , they dont make tape backups anymore(a baldface lie!!) The customer is pissed , saying as how he has to have a backup , and that the zip he was using wasnt big enough , he didnt want a rewritable cd , etc..

All this time , im standing there staring at a shelf full of sony superstations (10 gig TAPE backup for those that dont know).

I mention this to the customer and the sales guy...IMMEDIATELY he says those arent tape backups...I again , say yes , it IS a tape backup...he argues some more...i finally had to open the box and SHOW them that it WAS a tape...
    Life is good...sometimes...

When Egghead used to be in the area I found lots of new clients just hanging out and keeping my ears open and looking for a chance to interject some wisdom....It was pretty easy pickin's
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."