2 QUESTIONS ON MOBO'S

Thread: 2 QUESTIONS ON MOBO'S

Post 2 QUESTIONS ON MOBO'S

Is it possible to buy bios chip's for pcchips mobos in the uk? also I have a chaintech board that is running perfectly exept com ports don't work, it is a chaintech 5AGM2, I know about different pinouts, but I don't think that is the problem, I have no mouse, I need a ATX card which plugs into board, anyone know where I might accuire one? it adds ps/2 mouse , usb, and infa red support, I have an asus one put plug is larger.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Why You so sure,what is not the problem with pinouts? Did You try another cable with different pinouts? Fried I/O chip?

And what happened with original BIOS chip of Your PCChips motherboard?
    You can try to reflash that chip in Your Chaintech motherboard as well using uniflash utility and well-known hot-swap.
    What exactly PCChips motherboard and what flash IC's size,by the way? Well,what IC type (if You don't know,what size that IC has)?

If You have any of an old ISA LPT/COM controllers laying around, You can use that controller in Your motherboard (no IR port,though).Just only disable on-board components in BIOS settings.
    For what purpose are You going to use that Chaintech motherboard?
    Sorry,I'm probably asking too many questions...

I have a brand new ATX I/O card here with 2xUSB, 1xPS2 and 1xIR. It has an 18pin connector, one pin of which is blanked off (in the middle, pin 14). As i'm also in the UK, if you email me your address i'll send it to you FOC.
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

Chaintech mobo is a board I am doing up for a friend, I flashed bios, it is a ss7 board
    with good spec only I got no mouse without com ports,
    the pcchips boards are giving no video signal,
    so I assumed bios chips are dead, one was dead when I accuired it, the other after I upgraded bios.

[quote]Originally posted by TRICKPLAYER:
    the pcchips boards are giving no video signal,
    so I assumed bios chips are dead, one was dead when I accuired it, the other after I upgraded bios.

Does these BIOS chips are phisically dead or simply have wrong info written on?
    If so, these flash chips can be reflashed back using hot-swap and uniflash util (what I have mentioned many times,by the way). You can use Your Chaintech motherboard as host for reflashing... Have You ever done it before?

By the way,if You flashed Chaintech mobo with wrong BIOS version (even written for exactly the same motherboard,but for another I/O chip), COM ports (quite often also FDD and LPT) will not work at all...

Edited: Sorry for that dupe...
    Moderator: this message can be deleted.

chaintech was right bios, com ports did'nt work before flash, I think it may just be pin-outs, I am clueless on pcchips reflashing as I cant get any video signal how can I reflash, I don't really want to mess with chaintech board, I will try and find another board for that.

If You want,I can send to You pictures with difference in pinouts. I have scanned them,so, You can try to resolder connector.

would appreciate pinout pics, also have a ps/2 mouse conecter with wrong plug any idea on this, wire colours,green, black, white, red. do you know which pins they go on?

4 pins, ps/2 mouse clock,,,
    ps/2 mouse data..
    ps/2 ground..
    ps/2 ground..
    thanks ion advance.

Pinouts for PS/2 (and USB also) connector are listed in manual for that motherboard (pages 14-15).
    I just have downloaded that manual from http://www.chaintech.co.yu/podrska/uputstva/5AGM2-Manual.pdf

Thanks Ruslan, I already had that though, what my problem is the conecter for the ps2 mouse bracket is different and wount plug in to chaintech board, so I can only attach wires idividually, only I need to know what colour wire goes on what pin. (i.e. red to ps/2 data)

Sorry,I thought it should be clear for You...
    Of course You should attach wires individually (because You have no Chaintech's original PS/2connector).
    But... pinouts for every pin of output connector (as well as for input connector) are shown on mentioned pages in manual. Output connector's pinouts are the same for all motherboards,as You can guess - all PS/2 mouses have the same (standard) connectors.
    So,difference only in connector what comes to motherboard. But using ohmmeter You can identify,what every pin from output connector is responsible for what. And what color it is.
    Write them down on paper.
    (As I have said, all connectors pinouts are described in manual).It should not be difficult task for You,I believe...