[RESOLVED] Tech slang
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Tech slang

jvalliere

Resolved [RESOLVED] Tech slang

I wanna know what type of "tech slang" do you use that no one else understands?

I told someone that I had to "bounce" the server. (Take it down and bring it back up.)

And I got the weirdest look. (Picture of me bouncing the server down the hall going through his mind.)

What other slang do you know of that only we techs understand?

------------------
    I keep hitting Escape...Why am I still here??

Falcon

the any key

any technical words(router, switch, hub, gateway, ip address, MAC, cat5 cable, lan, etc.)

Hell, even Reboot.

------------------
    Hehe, you're silly.

MacGyver

Our head company tech didn't know what a "mobo" was.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.
    Our Daily Bread daily devotional online!

cleetus

Yeah, I love the bounce. Say it to the "Network Engineers" or my boss and it reminds me of the look my ceramic Scooby Doo gives me when I am discussing the inside politics of Indonesia to him.

------------------
    I didn't do it!!!!

kubrick

"Right Click"

------------------
    Calculating free space (this may take several minutes)...

repoman

I like the expression l get when l tell my customers that "I am going to blow away their Hard Drive!!" They think l'm some crazy madman Tech!

------------------
    I thought l had seen it all, till the next customer walked in!

Darren Wilson

Wink

'Installing Central Heating'

I will let you guess what this one is as it isn't that difficult

------------------
    I am my own Judge , Jury & Executioner. Although I am availabel for Weddings, Birthdays, Bahmitzvahs, etc,etc......

pakprotector

Cool

Oh man being an Environmental Manager and the Department IS Coordinator I get all of the great acronym's (i.e. RCRA, TSCA, AHERA, SARA, WYSIWYG, NIC, SCSI, USB).
    But my favorite's are: Defrag the Drive and Boot off the floppy! (huh! Blank stare - did he say something dirty and is it legal ).

------------------
    Who were the beta testers for Preparations A through G?

Jpbtennisman

Just tell the customer (or Gateway tech support ) that the system has an Asynchronous I/O Data Transfer Overflow error. I have no idea what I just said but it sounds complicated.

------------------
    www.pricewatch.com for best prices

Antec SX840, Athlon 1400@1584, Epox 8K7A+, IBM 40GB 7.2k, 20GB Maxtor 7.2k, Plextor 16x10x40, Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD-ROM, ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR...

pumpkinhead77

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Jpbtennisman:
    I have no idea what I just said

</font>
    You never know what you are saying

------------------
    If it's not broken....Fix it!
    http://www.underauthority.net

Vette2000

Angry

Hey kubrick
    I don't know if you ever do any phone support, but it always seems like when you first tell a customer to right click every click they do after that seems to be a right click?

About the question, blow the stack (network), wipe out the HDD, enter your password, or just about any other simple computer command for that matter!!!

------------------
    If walking is so good for you, then why does my mailman look like Jabba The Hut?

senectus - kbgm

Talking

When ever I try to explain using *nix terms... (TCPDUMP, tracert, arp request,syn attack, etc)

Also my personal fav's are ID10T (idiot), UBn'C error (User Brain Not Connected), PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair).

And I love being able to call everyone a L-User and not even my boss knows that I'm pulling the piss out of them *grin*

------------------
    Eradicating the world of id10t5 since 1974

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by senectus - kbgm:
    When ever I try to explain using *nix terms... (TCPDUMP, tracert, arp request,syn attack, etc)

Also my personal fav's are ID10T (idiot), UBn'C error (User Brain Not Connected), PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair).

And I love being able to call everyone a L-User and not even my boss knows that I'm pulling the piss out of them *grin*

</font>
    UBn'C error......I like that one!

------------------
    "what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"
    "what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"

kingtbone

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    'Installing Central Heating'

I will let you guess what this one is as it isn't that difficult

</font>

LOL, Can't avoid them cheapshots can ya Darren? It's ok, I got a laugh out of it once I figured it out.

------------------
    Posts look pretty stupid without the signature, so here it is.

MAYHEM

Looks like your modem is emulating English Muffins....

Yeah, it's toast.

------------------
    Well... I say... Nuke the unborn baby gay whales!