This is one of my favorites and it happend just last week...

Customer buys a cd-rom and I ask if he would like me to install it for $10.00 he said no any idiot can do that in 10 minuets so I proceed to show him the jumpers and where pin 1 is on the ide and send him on his way...3 hours later... ring ring.. I can't get the old drive out I removed "both" screws and it won't budge.. told him to look on the other side oh my 2 more screws... 4 hours later ring ring, I plugged it in but the machine wont boot, possibly bad cd-rom ?? I asked nicely if pin one was correct on the cable, "sure it is I know that" but after looking he put it upside down.. than while on the phone we booted the machine it said Primary HDD controller error... again asking the dumb question, did you set the jumper just like the old drive ?? well "NO" I thought since it was a new drive it would automaticaly set the jumper for me... DUH the computer fairy can't move jumpers.. So now I vow to try to have people not install there own hardware even if I have to do it for free

------------------
Wadda you mean I lost all my information !! It has been making that noise for 2 months and working fine..