Windows Protection Error

Thread: Windows Protection Error

Post Windows Protection Error

Changed processor, memory, video card, harddisk, reinstalled Win 98, then tried Win 95, still get Windows Protection Error. I have an ASUS P5A Motherboard with Award Bios Ver 4.51PG.

Darren Wilson

What speed CPU? If it is a K6-2 over 350Mhz then this normal with 95. You need to clock the CPU at under 350 or go into safe mode and run the patch.

SLASH1

What is the error? Is it the same with both 95 and 98? You've changed everythimg except the mobo? What does DM show? Does it boot OK in safe mode - be more specific!

ALPHACOMP,

Visit the Microsoft Troubleshooting Article titled. "How to Troubleshoot Windows Protection Error Messages" Article ID: Q149962
    http://support.microsoft.com/support...n_SRCH&SPR=W98

I quote some of the relevant details;

"SYMPTOMS
    When you start Windows, you may receive one of the following error messages, where device name is a device name:

While initializing device device name Windows Protection Error
    -or-
    Windows Protection Error
    When you shut down your computer, you may receive the following error message:
    Windows Protection Error
    NOTE: To more effectively search the Microsoft Knowledge Base, use keywords that relate to your issue when you search. If you are searching for troubleshooting information that is not referred to in this article, please try searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base again by using keywords that are listed in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
    Q242450 How to Query the Microsoft Knowledge Base Using Keywords

CAUSE
    This behavior can occur when a when your computer loads or unloads a virtual device driver (VxD). In many cases, the VxD that did not load or unload is mentioned in the error message. In other cases, you may not be able to determine which VxD caused the behavior.

Windows Protection error messages can occur under any of the following conditions:

If a real-mode driver and a protected-mode driver are in conflict.

If the registry is damaged.

If either the Win.com file or the Command.com file are infected with a virus, or if either of the files are damaged.

If a protected-mode driver is loaded from the System.ini file and the driver is already initialized.

If there is a physical input/output (I/O) address conflict or a random access memory (RAM) address conflict.

If there are incorrect complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings for a built-in peripheral device (such as cache settings, CPU timing, hard disks, and so on).

If the Plug and Play feature of the computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) is not working correctly.

If the computer contains a malfunctioning cache or malfunctioning memory.

If the computer's motherboard is not working properly.

If you installed Microsoft Office 97 and you are using the Novell Client 32 software.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve a Windows Protection error message:

Start your computer in Safe mode. For information about how to start your computer in Safe mode, view one of the following sections, depending on your operating system.

Windows 95
    To start Windows 95 in Safe mode, press the F8 key when you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, and then choose Safe Mode from the Startup menu.
    Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition
    To start Windows 98 in Safe mode, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu appears, and then choose Safe Mode.
    Windows Millennium Edition (Me)

To start Windows Me in Safe mode, press and hold down the CTRL key while you restart your computer, and then choose Safe Mode on the Windows Me Startup menu.
    If you do not receive the error message when you start your computer in Safe mode or when you shut down your computer from Safe mode, view one of the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: Windows 95:
    Q136337 Troubleshooting Windows 95 Startup Problems
    Q145926 How to Troubleshoot Windows 95 Shutdown Problems
    Windows 98:
    Q188867 Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems
    Q202633 How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Shutdown Problems
    Windows Millennium Edition (Me):

Q273738 TITLE: Troubleshooting Windows Me Startup Problems
    Q273746 TITLE: How to Troubleshoot Windows Me Shutdown Problems
    If your computer is a Plug and Play computer, reinstall Windows by using the setup /p I command.

For additional information about how to install Windows 95, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q129260 Windows 95 Setup: Description and Troubleshooting Steps
    If you are using the Novell Client 32 software, remove it, and then install Microsoft Client for Novell Networks.

Verify that the computer's CMOS settings are correct. For information about how to change CMOS settings on your computer, view the computer's documentation or contact the computer manufacturer.

Install a "clean" copy of Windows in an empty folder. For further information, please see one of the following articles below:

Q277648 How to Install Windows Millennium Edition in a New Folder [winmil]
    Q193902 How to Install Windows 98 Into a New Folder
    Q142096 How to Reinstall Windows 95 to a New Folder
    IMPORTANT: If the error message still occurs, it is most likely caused by faulty hardware.

Please note the last paragraph I quoted.

I recently had the same problem, and was able to trace it to a faulty install of the Novell Client - so faulty I had to not only uninstall all the software but also the NIC! But when I did that, the error disappeared....

Sonic

The times i've seen this, i could cry, and everytime its been the registry.

If you have Win98, then you can use SCANREG /FIX i think (use scanreg /? for syntax) - if you have Win95, it gets messy involving USER.DAT SYSTEM.DAT - its quicker to reinstall Win95.

Check the usual - make sure you have the latest BIOS update & hardware drivers for your system.