A7M266 and Windows XP Home

Thread: A7M266 and Windows XP Home

Post A7M266 and Windows XP Home

Just set up a system 1Gig/266 AMD with 512Megs DDR2100, 64Meg Geforce2, SBLive and was wondering if I still need to install the Via and AMD patch files, I have a PIII system just like it with VIA and have no problems with it and I have no problems with the AMD system until I play a game and I get a loud hiss noise in the audio for about 1.5minutes and then it goes away and works fine. I put another HDD in the AMD system and put win98se on it and that hiss is not there....kinda strange that it would be there for just a couple minutes and disappear. I have done all the updates, Det 21.83XP, SBLive, etc...any ideas or similiar issues?

Well, My machine is not quite as high as yours... Tbird 850, 256MB PC133. The "hiss sound" you are hearing is the "lighning crack and thunder" wav file that plays when you load Windows or enable EAX on some systems, playing really fast. I have not been able to figure out what causes it yet, but I know it has something to do with the SB Live software. I have experienced this several times. When I reload, the prob goes away, but returns later. I have only had this problem with WinME and Win2K, because they are the only ones I had to load the SB Live software for (Liveware 3). WinXP Pro installed the drivers automatically, so I didn't bother with the software from Creative.
    User logging on... 300 BAUD... 300 BAUD!!! Click! NO CARRIER

XP Home installs the drivers too and there is no lightning sounds like in 98 etc...all the boot up sounds and restart sounds are good...just when I start a game (UT or Giants) the intro if fine just during gameplay i get loud noise like distorted game music...last a couple minutes and then is fine. Also have updated sblive drivers at microsofts update. Maybe it is a XP thing with those games.