Windows Lockups etc. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Windows Lockups etc.

CobraTekMax

I go through my normal routine - check for duplicate devices in safe mode, look for known offensive or problem programs and drivers, and do a burn in overnight. Failing that, I then inform the customer that I couldn't reproduce the error, and that if they can't give me a specific instance of when it locks up, I'm gonna have to format and re-install. If they refuse, I make sure they read the disclaimer at the bottom of our shop tickets - in a nutshell it says that by signing this, you understand and are satisfied with the diagnosis/repairs done on your machine. That way, they can't come whining to me a week later that their computer is still locking up.

3fingersalute

Originally posted by COBRATEKMAX:
    I go through my normal routine - check for duplicate devices in safe mode, look for known offensive or problem programs and drivers, and do a burn in overnight. Failing that, I then inform the customer that I couldn't reproduce the error, and that if they can't give me a specific instance of when it locks up, I'm gonna have to format and re-install. If they refuse, I make sure they read the disclaimer at the bottom of our shop tickets - in a nutshell it says that by signing this, you understand and are satisfied with the diagnosis/repairs done on your machine. That way, they can't come whining to me a week later that their computer is still locking up.
    Ditto here....I do not have the time to spend hours trying to reproduce an error!

We run into these "mystery problems" all the time. The very first thing I do is run Norton Systemworks (The WinDoctor prog), from the CD and let it fix all the Win and Reg errors. Then I burn it in for a while. Only after this fails do I dig any deeper. Honestly, Norton Systemworks used in this way has made many a call less than an hour time spent! I highly reccommend you use it as a first line of attack.
    "Good advice is only good if followed."
    ***poof***ShAzAm vanished!