Hacking through a firewall? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hacking through a firewall?

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar

Do they have any drives or folders shared?
    WWBRD?

Thumbs up

Try www.hackerwhacker.com

This site will give you one free detailed scan, more detailed than www.grc.com will.

Perhaps they can help you find the open port.

BTW, I pitted it against Zonealarm, and I have to say, Zonealarm did very well.
    I really am trying to understand your point of view, but I can't seem to stick my head that far up my A$$

Originally posted by shadow1:
    Zone alarm asks if you want certain programs to act as server. If yes was answered there is an open port all the time the box is on. Open up zone alarm and check to see if napster is set as a server.
    That is what I have been told. I also release my IP address before I shut my machine down, so i get a new one and I am not a usuall target of pranksters.

Hey that hacker whacker works good
    I used it to isolate 5 different security holes and closed them all using AtGaurd.

WooHoo!
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!

to find files with a particular extension use : dir *.[ext]/s/b - that should work if find is not.

Also this could be a virus, also Napster is a proprietary file sharing format - and as such it is open to hack. Just out of curiosity - did your friend not have any files available for sharing? It sounds like he got a virus from someone that torqued someone else the wrong way, or he did it himself (the torquing, I mean). You are dealing with a group of unknown individuals with questionable moral fiber (questionable simply because you do not know them personally, not making a judgment on the ethics of Napster, or file sharing in general) and things like this can happen.

Make sure your antivirus DAT file is updated, run autoprotect to scan for all types, and make system backups. I would remove client for ms networking and just leave TCp/IP installed - that way - you cannot hack the MS client to get in - however this removes the ability to use the "Save Password" feature.

As to the NT question - 2000 should run OpenGL better than Windows 9x - OpenGL was designed for 3D modeling - CAD/CAM/creating motion video - and NT is better suited for these processor intensive tasks. This does not mean that 2k will be a better gaming system - that depends on your hardware, driver libraries and games you will be running, and in my personal experience I run all my games under 2k - but I am also not much of a gamer.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

I've seen many clients with all of C: shared in Napster, Scour, etc. With the right plugins, doesn't take a whole lot to open up to the world.
    Dopey Is My Hero, the king of idiots, the mentors of morons.

Originally posted by Sowulo:
    Double check your ME install. I've never seen your problem and just double checked on my own ME box over in the Tech Room--no problem...
    I've never had problems searching for files with ME either.
    Nicholas "Raijen" Furniss
    http://www.raijen.com/img/smiley-saber.gif

If it's humanly possible to make something worse VIA a patch, Micro$oft WILL manage it

Remember - only the special people can get high on Air http://www.raijen.com/img/smiley-tongue.gif

Visit My Homepage at http://www.raijen.com

That's a neat trick...hacking in throuhg the Napster port
    ZoneAlarm is one of the best Personal Firewalls out there right now, whe activated it will close every port except the ones you specify...very effeciant. It looks like the 'hacker' was mad about not getting the MP3 he wanted (can you say looser?).
    I'll assume that Napster is setup on the defaults (does it even give you a choice??) so this person knew exactly what port was open to the world and rode in on that.

If you can, try to change the port Napster uses to a not so common one and reset it in ZoneAlarm...might keep the n00b out

Oh and with the Win2k for games...works great, just might have problems with older games (before Win98)
    ...I don't get it...

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Joker1:
    Hey that hacker whacker works good
    I used it to isolate 5 different security holes and closed them all using AtGaurd.

WooHoo!
    Glad it helped.

I gotta add....GRC.com sure made me aware of all the leaks in my system before I added a firewall.

I really am trying to understand your point of view, but I can't seem to stick my head that far up my A$$

Cool

Funny thing happened when i took phone calls at work yesterday....

Someone from the buffalo area (where i work) called with almost the SAME hack! Looked at thier autoexec.bat-- was almost identical--- but alas, they learned something and actually got the switch right for erasing the mp3s! Was this guy ticked!!!! 4 GB of mp3 files! He wondered why his hard drive was clicking away for so long.....
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Originally posted by Sowulo:
    Double check your ME install. I've never seen your problem and just double checked on my own ME box over in the Tech Room--no problem...
    I have seen this problem, the search box comes up but when you type in something, and click search it just says that no results were found. Try re-installing to fix this
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-