40 gig drives

Thread: 40 gig drives

Unhappy 40 gig drives

My friend just bought a nice 40 gig drive and his olde Gigabyte board will not support it
    The board is a Gigabyte 586s2 at and the bios date is July 30 1998 and this is the last bios update for this board
    Now I have an Asus p5-a ss7 board I could sell him and all he would need is a case but I am not sure if it will support his drive, If I had a spare atx power supply I could hook them up and see
    I know the Asus board I have will support my 10.2 gig drive but will it support the 40 gig Maxtor drive my friend bought
    I need a reply quickly because he is limpimg on 2 gigs and that is pretty full now.

------------------
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

You will probably have to load the ez-bios or whatever the equivalent software is that the drive came with.

By the way, I have a P5A board and a 20gig drive and I did not, or have not heard of any problems with drives bigger than mine.

------------------
    I might rock, but I am not made of stone!

Exclamation

Well we built the system with the p5a and the bios freezes in auto detecting the drive, I think we need a bios
    fdisk finds 8 gigs of it but we cant get the bios to detect it, by the way it is a Maxtor diamond max and it was an oem product. mo maneul
    And the bios needs to find the drive before you can even think of load drive overlay software
    HELP!!!!!!!!

------------------

Originally posted by format c::
    Well we built the system with the p5a and the bios freezes in auto detecting the drive, I think we need a bios
    fdisk finds 8 gigs of it but we cant get the bios to detect it, by the way it is a Maxtor diamond max and it was an oem product. mo maneul
    And the bios needs to find the drive before you can even think of load drive overlay software
    HELP!!!!!!!!

If the bios is not seeing the drive it is possible the jumpers are set wrong and/or there is something wrong with the drive. I know there used to be a jumper on the Maxtors that limited the cylinders but you could still use the whole drive. I am not sure if this is still true but you should be able to get that info on their website. If you manually input the settings for the drive in the bios you should be able to use the overlay program, but of course the drive has to be in working order first.

------------------
    I might rock, but I am not made of stone!

Thanks Larommi, We gave up on the 40 gig since the bios has a 32 gig limit and there is no new bios update for the board just yet. My friend went with two 30 gig maxtors and the system runs great

------------------