Help newbie with an IRQ conflict please!

Thread: Help newbie with an IRQ conflict please!

Post Help newbie with an IRQ conflict please!

I have a MOBO (unknown Manufacturer)made in 1994 with AWARD BIOS (2A59CR0A). It has PnP support. I succesfully formatted HDs, and installed OS (Windows95 ver.a).
    I started with installing my little ole SiS video accelerator (PCI, 2MB, 2D, w/ PnP support), and it works good.<--- Dont use any IRQ. I used drivers from manufacturer.

I then installed my ZOOM 56k Dual Mode modem. It is ISA with PnP supported. <---It took IRQ5 for itself. I used drivers from manufacturer.

All is well at this point!
    Then I powered down and installed the following Sound Card.

Reveal SC400R4<----Sticker on Chipset
    ( Aztech set )

My computer DIDNT detect on the boot! BUT....
    When I performed an "Add Hardware" in w95
    It identified the unit as the following:
    Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16.
    This is an ISA card made in 1994. I assume its NOT a PnP card because it want found on boot up. Is that right?

I D/Ld Reveal sc400r4 drivers from Windrivers and used them when prompted.

I rebooted and to my delight heard the pretty sounds of windows starting.
    In fact the card seems to work great

However.. This Turkey is wanting to use 3 differnt IRQs 5, 9, & 11.
    So apparently it "kicked the modem off IRQ5"
    I think it was given IRQ4<--- printer port.
    Now the PnP modem cant find a new home?
    The only IRQ I have left is 10 but I cant change the settings in Windows...It wont let me manually change settings.

I tried to Fiddle with the IRQ/PCI settings in BIOS to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    If the answer is too long....POINT me to a good trouble shooting quide please!!!

LuvNCustomers

You are right and wrong about the plug-n-pray. It probably was not detected on startup because there was an IRQ conflict. A card that old taking 3 IRQ's is a bit odd. Also, I am not quite sure why you printer port is taking IRQ4. That is for your com1 and com3.

There are a few things that you could try.
    1. If you are not using both com ports disable com2 in the bios, start in safe mode, remove com2 and the modem and restart machine. Usually the modem will take com2.

2. What exactly is taking the three IRQ's. If any of them listed are mpu401, and you are not using anything in dos, you can disable it and free up the IRQ.

3. Make sure plug-n-pray is turned on in the bios.

1st off... I was wrong about printer on 4.
    I got crossed up.

As for the sound card. My Device Manager
    informs me that IRQ 10 and 11 are for it.
    and yes the IRQ 5 is for MPU-401.
    What is that for? I thought it was for playpack of MIDI sequences or something?
    Can I just pitch it? THis PC wont be doin DOS

As for dumping Com2...I can do that...I just seems to be a shame when u HAVE an available IRQ?

I did find out that the resources can be changed on the Sound Card.... U see.. I was trying to change the Modem.

Did you say the 1994 sound card was NOT PnP?
    I figured it was NOT.

If everything is PnP...wouldnt conflicts NOT happen?

Im gonna doink with Sound resources and let u know what happened.

For future reference...When using mixed PnP/non-PnP devices...should I always try to resolve conflicts in BIOS or by changing slots? Then if that dont work try Windows settings?

I could really use some general rules of thumb for future builds.

This is my 3rd build, and I like the challenge of figuring things out,but not TOO MUCH hassle!

OK....I "manually changed" the MPU-401 IRQ
    from 5 to 9.

Sound is working and PnP Modem took IRQ 5 <----that modem just insists on IRQ 5 huh?

Now under the "Device Manager" I find NO conflicts of ANY type under ANY device!

BUT... My V.80 Sync.Video says "this device driver configutation does not match any known configurations"

WTH is that v.80 device? do i need it? It installed with the Modem installation.
    this PC isnt powerful nor will it have a fast connection to internet. P100 w/ 56k modem.

One more thing.....

I now see under.....System Properties/ Computer Properties/ IRQ type listing....
    a couple of little blue "i" icons over my Sound Card listings. I cant select them or even determine what they are?

Everything seems to work OK and I still have Com2. Well...I quess im done.

THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN MY PROBLEM !!!!