Keyboard won't work

Thread: Keyboard won't work

Wink Keyboard won't work

Hello.

I start with a working keyboard. I use it in my Epox socket 7, AT style mainboard. This board was working when I pulled it for an upgrade several months ago. Everything works fine except it acts like I have no keyboard plugged in. When it boots up I do see the LEDs on the keyboard flash, but the NUM LOCK LED does not stay on like I'm thinking maybe it should.

So what's broken......the physical keyboard port (5 pin DIN) or some chip on the mainboard that controls it? I could get a friend to solder a new keyboard port on there. Does anyone think that might help?

I would check the keyboard on a couple of other machines and if it would work, I'd check the motherboard.
    If so, I hope it's the port itself and not a chip on the motherboard.

Good luck!
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

AlienDyne is right, I also would check keyboard in another PC.
    You can find and test Your keyboard (all keys,lights and so on) using an old "CheckIt v.3" or newer version of that test software.
    Also I would ckeck BIOS settings - may be NUM LOCK is set to "OFF" on boot.
    What exactly EPoX motherboard,by the way?

I guarantee the keyboard works. I can't check the CMOS setup because the keyboard doesn't work. How do I access setup on boot without keyboard DEL key (or any keystrokes since the keyboard isn't working here)?

I was just trying to draw on someone's experience. It's something bad on the motherboard I just don't know what. I can't find the motherbaord just this minute to check the model, but from looking online at the Epox website I believe it's model EP-5BVPXB.

Originally posted by Mike300:
    I guarantee the keyboard works.
    I wouldn't have been so sure.
    Did You try another keyboard to be sure?
    Did You try resetting CMOS?

Read also this topic:

I mixed and matched 3 keyboards and 2 working computers and this motherboard. I guarantee the keyboards work fine. Did I reset CMOS... I can't remember, it's been a while since I last had this stuff out working with it.

If, for example, the keyboard fuse was bad, would I see the keyboard LEDS flash when the computer boots?

Originally posted by Mike300:

If, for example, the keyboard fuse was bad, would I see the keyboard LEDS flash when the computer boots?
    Motherboards usually have 4 keyboard fuses - 1 fuse for each of 4 keyboard's signal wires.
    So, if one of them gone,rest signals can go on working, but keyboard - no.

It's may also bad I/O chip,though. (Some I/O chips also have built-in keyboard controller and even own keyboard BIOS).For example, Winbond 83977TF chip. For replacing that chip You should find same chip from same class motherboard as faulty (i.e. for LX - from any LX motherboard, for MVP3 - from MVP3 MoBo).

Another possible source of keyboard problem - is the BIOS chip. BIOS contents also depends on I/O chip. If someone flashed BIOS chip with wrong version (but for same chipset motherboard,as original),motherboard can start, HDD will work,but I/O chip (floppy,LPT,COM and even keyboard), if that IC has built-it keyboard controller - won't.

I used similar trick many times for repairing motherboards with dead BIOS chip (in case if I/O - without keyb.conroller).

By the way,what exactly I/O chip?

if you're using an AT style keyboard I'd check the socket on the mobo..

also clear your CMOS via the jumper or take the battery out for a couple of hours..

as far as I remeber all older mobos had a default of "halt on all Errors" and not "All but keyboard" ..

also a good idea would be removing all the unneeded hardware from the computer..

it can be IRQ conflict

(keyboard uses IRQ 1)

Hope it helps..

I don't know the specifics of that mainboard, but if it has USB, you could plug in a USB keyboard. You could then get into the BIOS or even just run it that way.