Veritas Backup Exec
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Backup Exec

Post Veritas Backup Exec

I use the Veritas Backup Exec in our office and have had problems getting it to run consistently. We run a daily backup Mon-Fri. and about every 7-9 days it doesn't run. It's set to start at the end of the day... (11:30 pm), and when I come into the office at 7 am, there is a message saying 'loading media' or sometimes 'job pending'. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks.

What is your tape rotation? Could it be a bad tape??

I use 5 different tapes, and I actually thought that myself but it doesn't make any difference. One time it will be #1 and then maybe #4...... I don't know. I have run a backup right away and sometimes it works and the next time it will give me the same message, with any tape I choose. (I've even tried a new tape.) I really need to figure this out.

Ah yes the $64,000,000 question. If I could find the answer to this I would be a very happy man.

As you've probably guessed I have the same problem here. There doesn't seem to be a patern. I use the same schedule every day, it will work fine for days then one day I come in in the morning and the tapes popped out and the message loading media. Pop the tape back in and say ok and away it goes and finnishes the job.

I use a three week rotation of five tapes per week. I've made a note as to which tape it was that errored, but when you come to use the tape on the next rotation it works fine.

The only thing I have noticed is,it only happens on one version of the software. We have Veritas Backup Exec on one server and Seagate Backup exec on the other. Unfortunatly I'm at home now and I cant remember which one it is I have the trouble with.

At some point I'm going to install the version I don't have trouble with on the other server. The problem is arranging the down time.

As I say I've lived with it for about 12 months now, as it is it's not that much of a problem, more an anoyance.
    If it aint broke, don't fix it....... If it's broke, buy a new one

Have you checked their website for errata and fixes?

Is it possible you are filling up the tape when it reaches that point and it expects a new one?
    <a href="http://www.warfarehq.com" target="_blank">
    WarfareHQ</a>
    <a href="http://www.theblitz.org" target="_blank">Wargamer's Home!</a>

What version are you running...
    I heard v8 has a lot of bugs but I use it with no problem. I have also used previous versions and have no problems.
    To each his/her own.

I am using v8 and 12 GB tapes. It is set up to overwrite the existing data, so it can't be looking for the next tape. It says it's 'loading media' and then sits there. It doesn't go any farther. I have changed the startup time and sometimes that seems to work and sometimes it doesn't. I have it set to run at 11:30 pm, and when I come in at 7 am, it's still loading media.....
    I've checked the web site, emailed repeatedly, and left voice mail messages. I'm really frustrated.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm open to any tricks of the trade.

Just to let everyone know, I spoke with a Tech Support person this morning (he was very helpful), and I have to download a program update....he has seen this type of thing before. He also told me to clean the tape drive. I'll let you all know if it works. Thanks again.

Question

I have just the opposite problem. Every now and then the DAT drive won't let me eject the dang tape. I have to log in and unlock it. It doesn't matter if the backup was succesful or failed. Happens once, maybe twice a week. Any ideas.
    Cameron: The 1961 Ferrari 250GT California. Less than a hundred were made. My father spent three years restoring this car. It is his love, it is his passion...
    Ferris: ..it is his fault he didn't lock the gararge.

i got backup exec desktop 4.5, and it has just stopped backups altogether; media controller not responding correctly (08 0B 21 01 0002)

i thought it was my adaptec scsi controller but it has done it on my new advansys one.

think it might be the jaz disk/drive? as far as i recall, my hp t20 also plays up and wont backup.

all was ok on my old p2-266.!!!
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

Drippy1,
    What version are you running? The guy I talked to today said he has had more people than just me call about the same problem I have been having. I've never had a problem ejecting a tape though. I'm seriously thinking about taking a class or something, then maybe I will understand how this thing works!!

When I started here they were having the same problem (Veritas v7.3). You didn't mention hardware, but this is on a Compaq 35/70 GB DLT IV drive. I cleaned it, and it happened again in about two weeks. So I replaced the drive - and have had no more problems.
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

Actually this happened to a client of mine. Tech support for the drive and Veratis kept on blaming OS but I new otherwise. Finally I got them to agree to RMA it and replaced the drive a couple days after that...no more problems. I have come to believe if a problem seems sparatic with no pattern then most likely it is a hardware issue.
    To each his/her own.

Huh??? Veritas makes the software (Backup Exec). They don't make the drives themselves, as far as I'm aware.

I am running this software on a Compaq Proliant ML330, and it's brand new. We've only had it about 3.5 months. Surely the tape drive wouldn't even be dirty, let alone need replacing??????