[RESOLVED] Sending a Finger?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Sending a Finger?

Debbie

Resolved [RESOLVED] Sending a Finger?

What is a finger and how do you send it to someone?
    Please enlighten me... Thanks

Well, it's been a while, but a finger is almost exactly what it sounds like, but you don't "send" one. It comes from Unix lingo, and didn't they just come up with the most colorful lingo? (gopher, archie and veronica, ping, finger).
    Finger is for identifying a port. Anymore it's mostly used in IRC. I believe the context is:
    /finger [nick]
    It will return socket information, such as IP address, etc. Again, I'm probably leaving some info out because it's been a while. Maybe someone else will know more.

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

Professional Hockey: 8 months of the year when life actually means something.
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

Originally posted by Debbie:
    What is a finger and how do you send it to someone?
    Please enlighten me... Thanks
    First of all you buy the cheapest case possible. Then you try to knock out the plates that cover the drive bays. By then if you havent severed a finger....oh wait...maybe that was not what you were looking for!

hAS ANYONE SEEN MY "cAPS lOCK kEY"?

Cool

please accept both my appology and take this information lightly as I have had my keyboard go down and now it is up and wanted to send you something the file exists on a Unix machine I believe I tried to convey and this is where the information may or not be completely accurate It is a .doa file or something like that last I looked and you can set the information it identifies your position also and as stated above must be requested was what I wanted to say also as above furthermore access to the file may be difficult as it brings a lot of attention setting a file like that if you can access it...maybe a good start for you is computercurrents high tech dictionary have a good day sorry about the rush job ..hey np keep informed..jd

here is a good link more information http://www.lx.net/html/terms.htm
    maybe i am still a little hampered here....woops dot net there are some typos and it is old but it works bye now..jd..

[This message has been edited by physjcirl (edited June 16, 2000).]

Debbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. I did check the site you mentioned. I found that site to be very informative for a newbie like me. Thanks again.