Cable Internet Access Security

Thread: Cable Internet Access Security

Post Cable Internet Access Security

What is the best way to protect yourself from Hackers when you have cable service. I have a call from a cust. who has downloaded from napster and now all his dll files are gone and he crashed. I fdisked reloaded win98 and am trying to figure out the best protection for him I have very little exp. with cable access. I was thinking firewall but which one??? He already uses McAfee online for virus protection so I am sure his dat's were up to date. Thanks in advance for any help and sugestions and is a firewall the best route to take??
    Remember...COMPAQ=BAD

Had a similar situation with a friend's pc-- they got hacked BAD thru napster, even with a firewall. I do phone support for a local PC company, and i also got a call from someone that had the same thing happen...

check out this post....
    http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...&f=17&t=004910
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

Thanks but I had already read that before I posted. I was looking for something more to the point of load and forget or whos firewall to use. There really aren't any mentioned besides zonealarm and gaurd dog but which is better or are there others not mentioned better??
    Remember...COMPAQ=BAD

After you post that, our network guy was walking by-- i had him read it--- he says taht with a software firewall, you are a lot more vulnerable-- he suggests a hardware firewall, but did not recomend a specific one...
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

RC2969

I agree hw firewalls are by far the best, but for those who don't want to spend the extra $$ I recommend Tiny Personal Firewall. It's a nice little program and is free.

Well you do not say what OS this is but if it is Win98 all you should need to do is disable file and print sharing. Win98 does not have any listening services like ftp or telnet about the only thing listening is port 139. It could be that the guy downloaded a mp3 trojan from napster.

I am running win98 how much would a hardware firewall cost? and which one. If I am running windows 98 as long as I don't enable print and file sharing I can't get hacked?? I was almost positive that there are still ports open due to it being a cable modem with always on static ip address. Granted it is not on when the machine is off but otherwise I thought it would be due to that
    Remember...COMPAQ=BAD

In my opinion your customer needs both of following

Software: Zone Alarm
    which you can get: here

Hardware: Linksys BEFSR11 EtherFast 1-Port Cable/DSL Router which you can get:
    here

No home Cable/DSL system should be without.
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

However there is a virus that shows as an mp3 file (No firewall or virus protection), that when run deletes/renames all your mp3 files.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010