Partitioning without 3rd party software...

Thread: Partitioning without 3rd party software...

Post Partitioning without 3rd party software...

Is there a way to partition with win2k installed without using 3rd party software? And without reinstalling ?
    "Im the guy your mother warned you about."

Nope I don't think so

unknownGHOST

there is a way, but i dont think you want to do it. very risky. Linux's DiskDruid will allow you to resize current partitions and create new FAT32 partitions which can later be converted to NTFS. the danger is that it is extremely easy to damage other partitions on any dirve for it lists all connected devices (HDD's). its dangerous if you dont know anything about diskdruid. just a suggestion though...

I'm not sure if you mean partitioning another drive or the drive win2k is installed on, but you can partition other drives from within win2k by:
    Going to the control panel
    then administrative tools
    then computer management
    then under storage and disk management
    Be Careful!!

Exclamation

I could be wrong here, but I seem to remeber hearing about a dos-based utility by intel called "fips" or something like that which could resize and move partitions without destroying them. It was supposed to be more complicated and user-unfriendly and also somewhat unstable, though, so I don't think I would recommend using it on an important HDD. Best thing to do would be to just shell some dough if you need to and get Partition Magic.
    "And I looked, and behold
    a pale horse: and his name
    that sat on him was Death,
    and Hell followed with him."
    -Revelations 6:8

Originally posted by Crypto:
    I could be wrong here, but I seem to remeber hearing about a dos-based utility by intel called "fips" or something like that which could resize and move partitions without destroying them. It was supposed to be more complicated and user-unfriendly and also somewhat unstable
    Definitely not unstable, l've been using it on the most botched of systems for years without error lt really isn't a big complicated program either...you hit + to make more free space, and - to make less. lt's definitely worth grabbing.

As for not using 3rd party software, it's impossible, afaik. l mean, technically "not using 3rd party software" would mean an internal Win2k command that handles real partitioning, and l don't think there is one (not even fdisk??)...so your best bet is to resize the partitions with the app of choice, (do NOT use partition magic: for some reason it wont play well with Win2000; l learned the hard way). You won't have to reinstall.
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..

CobraTekMax

Originally posted by BreakWindows:
    (do NOT use partition magic: for some reason it wont play well with Win2000; l learned the hard way). You won't have to reinstall.
    Oooohhhhhhhhh yes, you are correct. PM6 is a bit more Win2K compatible, but I still don't quite trust it. Especially not if the drive is partitioned in NTFS.

I use PM6 on Windows 2000 and NTFS5 and I haven't had a problem yet. I keep it updated to the latest version to make sure.
    "What happened to coffee flavored coffee?"