Win 98 or win 2000

Thread: Win 98 or win 2000

Post Win 98 or win 2000

Just wondering if it would be worth my while to reinstall my system using Win 2000, I figured I'd wait this long to see how everyone is doing with win 2000.

I have a copy of win 2000 and am itching to try it.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

If your having problems with Win98 then goto 2000. If everything is working ok then stay with 98.

WIN2k is nice though and you don't have to repartition either...Thats makes it good also.

Good luck with 2k, You'll probably switch and say good bye to 98 forever!

As it's been stated before, Installing either Win9x or Win2K depends on how you use your PC. If all you do is surf interent and write papers and things like that, either Win9x or Win2K will work. However, Win2K will probably crash less and allow you to have tighter security over your files and system. If you intend to play more games then stick with win98/ME. Although some games do work with Win2K. My suggestion is if your hard drive is big enough, make two equal partitions and dual boot win9x/ME and Win2K. Or install Win2K on second hard drive.
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

NorthStar

Depends on your hardware 2000 Professional runs well and stable as long as you have good Hardware

I used Win2k for 6 months, then switched back to 98 for a short time and realized how much I loved Win2k, so once again I'm running Win2k, and it's here to stay. Many things like my software dvd player and web cam seem to work much better on Windows 2000. Plus I play a large number of games on it too. The only games that I could not get to work were NFS 4 and Porsche Unleashed, but compatibily updates are released frequently from microsoft, and all of my favorite games play perfectly.

Having a Geforce card is a good thing for games in Win2k because the video drivers are great! Other video cards seem to have a big performance drop in Win2k, like Ati Radeon.

I plan on sticking with Windows 2000 for quite a long time. I can do everything on it that I like to do and it never crashes.

I dual boot between Win 98 SE and Windows 2000. And wouldn't have it any other way.

Originally posted by waldo:
    I dual boot between Win 98 SE and Windows 2000. And wouldn't have it any other way.
    At home I do the same. Win 98SE mainly for gaming, and W2k Pro for everything else (execpt my Linux and my OS 9 machine that is)

At the office - My Desktop: W2k Pro
    My Boss's: W2k Pro
    The rest of company: Win 98SE
    (with a few dinasours running Win 95).
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Darren Wilson

Win2k for EVERYTHING!!!!!

No problems with it here at all.

BTW the Radeon's have NO performance drop at all under win2k. Wherever you heard that obviously has never set one up properly. Sorry, but I use one myself (32Mb SDR)and it outperforms all of my friends GeForce2 cards and they run win98.

I'm Running an ASUS V3800 32MB video card with the latest detonator Drivers. any issues with that and win 2K?
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

as long as you have basic understanding of security settings/permissions, then win2k is awesome.

I use WIn2k at the office and am converting the whole organization from WIn 95 to 2K. I love the security and reliability. owever, as already stated if you run games, 98 is definitely the better choice.
    "Is a dream a lie, if it don't come true?" -Springsteen

thanks everyone I'll probaly change soon even though I play the odd game , Soldier of fortune, Half life, Nhl 2001, all online.

Originally posted by waldo:
    I ran mine this way for the first six months just to make sure that everything would be okay and I would know how to get myself out of a major jam. After that I reformatted and reinstalled w/ win2k only and used the other partition for files, mp3s, etc.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

I would agree with a dual boot win98se and win2k boot.

I finally got around to doing it and now I can't imagine living without it

If your not familiar with it win2k has some step by step instructions.

but make sure you install win 98 first.
    WHAT THE **** ARE YOU READING MY SIGNATURE FOR?!?

ONCE A GEEK ALWAYS A GEEK...

Registered User Stanley_Kubrick's Avatar

Thumbs up

Yeah I agree with the dual boot crew-
    Gives you a chance to try 2k with your hardware before you fully commit. Plus, chicks dig it!
    Jesus Saves.

Gretzky recovers... He shoots... HE SCORES!!!