Processor upgrading

Thread: Processor upgrading

Post Processor upgrading

How does one go about upgrading their processor?

I have an AMD-K6 3D processor 400Mhz.
    Award Software BIOS
    PCI,ISA,USB bus type

Any help offered would be appreciated.

What size of a processor upgrade can I install that would be optimal without causing any damage?
    "I see your lips moving but all I hear is 169.blah.blah.blah."

You can go up to a 550mhz K6-2.

Just open it up...pop the cpu out..put a new one in =)

As a rule, Jungle is right - but check your motherboard manufacturers site first, some boards do have limits on the processors or require BIOS updates before they will recognize the new proc - check first!
    friends are forever!
    Remember those who perished

There is a bit more to it than JMan said - check your motherboard's support for faster CPU's. As said, you can get up to 550MHz K6-II's. Ensure the motherboard has a 2.2 volt setting, a 400 may be being run at a slightly higher voltage (2.3 or 2.4) which if it's the lowest supplied by the board settings, would make a faster CPU run hot.

You will most likely need a larger heatsink/fan assembly, especially if you use a 550 rather than a 500. Also you may need to update the BIOS to have the faster CPU properly recognised. If this is needed but is not done, the speed might just be mis-reported, or the system may show odd instability problems.

Also if the CPU speed is set by jumpers on the board rather than a setting in the BIOS, the settings for higher speeds may not be documented, or the board may not have a multiplier higher than, say, x5 so the fastest you could go in this case would be 500, unless you can overclock the bus speed.

Research the motherboard capacity first, post more info re m/board if you'd like more assistance.

And you may need to look around a bit to find someone still stocking K6's.