[RESOLVED] HP Pavilion 6360 will not boot up.

Thread: [RESOLVED] HP Pavilion 6360 will not boot up.

Pops139

Wink HP Pavilion 6360 will not boot up.

HP Pavilion 6360
    32MB HD
    AMD K6 333
    Replaced Power supply as it was making horrible noise (bearings?). No problems with computer before replacement. Got replacement from HP Parts division. Replaced with no problems. However, it will not boot up. No beeps, Power light on, CD flashes, no HD light, but can hear it begin to work and no signal to monitor. I've looked everywhere for advise to no avail. Suggestions please. Pops

Does the PC boot up if you put the old power supply back in?

If it does then the new power supply is either faulty, the wrong type, not plugged in correctly.

If it doesn't then the most likely explanation is that youv'e disconnected a cable from the motherboard while fitting the new PSU. (IDE cables plugged back into the motherboard the wrong way round can stop a PC from booting).

I would suggest carefully checking everything for loose connections/ incorrect connections.

Hope this helps

[quote]Originally posted by Pops139:
    32MB HD

wow...pretty small HD you got there

Pops139

Sorry about the HD info. Of course it's 32MB Ram and it is a 9.? GB Drive. To GDPurple, no, I put the old PU back in and had the same results. I did nothing other than replace the PU and reconnect the wiring. I thought that I had made note of all connections including the black/black/green three wire hook up to the MB. It would help if HP would give more info on the MB. The MB has "SPAX rev 1.01" between the PCI slots and have had very little luck being able to identify it other than some references to ASUS and the SPX98AGP. However, that one uses the SIS5591 and this one is SIS5598. I am in deep doo doo here as it is a customers computer and he must have it back by Monday for his payroll.

1.check and reseat memory,
    2. did you remove any ide cables, if so check orientation.
    3.remove all plugs from drive etc, except main atx power, and turn on, if it beeps and shows bios screen, repeat pluging in one item at a time.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Pops139

Thank you TrickPlayer. Had already gone thru that routine with no luck, but gave it another try with, again, no luck.

Exclamation

Go here for product specs for your Pavilion. It says that you have a 366 AMD K6-2 microprocessor with a SiS 5598 chipset. It also says that you should have 64MB RAM...not 32.

Again, I would double (or triple) check the power connections and IDE cables. Usually, the red wire goes to pin 1.

Go here for
    BIOS Beep Codes. It should beep at least once...if it finds no errors. If you're not getting any beeps at all, then it must be the power connections...at least, that's my guess.

Sorry I couldn't help out more...Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Exclamation

One more thing, go here for Instructions on Upgrading RAM. It also lists instructions on replacing the Power Supply. It doesn't list which cable goes where but it might have something in there that you're missing.

Also, go here for the Parts Breakdown for your Pavilion. Looks like the power supply unit is only 110 watts. I know that some of these Pavilion P/S's have a hard time powering up if things aren't connected just right. Make sure the power connectors are distributed out to the different drives, etc.

Again, Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

6360 not booting up? Solution.

I have seen this with many computers. Bad memory sticks were the cause in each case. Seriously consider testing another ram module in the unit. (no signal to monitor, no sounds or beeps, led and power is on but no memory countdown or bios access.) It's the memory stick.

Hope this helps,
    CycloneNetworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneNetworks
    I have seen this with many computers. Bad memory sticks were the cause in each case. Seriously consider testing another ram module in the unit. (no signal to monitor, no sounds or beeps, led and power is on but no memory countdown or bios access.) It's the memory stick.

Hope this helps,
    CycloneNetworks.com
    Welcome to WD CycloneNetworks .

you might want to check dates on things
    you reply to ;11-25-2001, 10:42 AM
    was day of last reply

But people are always welcome to help if you want .
    Last edited by GrandDad; July 26th, 2004 at 11:25 AM.
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

Banned
    [QUOTE=JungleMan1]
    Originally posted by Pops139:
    32MB HD

wow...pretty small HD you got there
    ?

6360 not booting up? Solution.

I found this thread while looking for BIOS Update for the same machine for a customer, and had been through that Memory nightmare more than once. Thanks, I'll pay closer attention to the dates from now on. Cheers!