ASUS P2L97-DS motherboard and dual CPU

Thread: ASUS P2L97-DS motherboard and dual CPU

Post ASUS P2L97-DS motherboard and dual CPU

I got a PC with a ASUS P2L97-DS motherboard (it's support 2 CPU's) with only one CPU Intel Pentium II 266Mhz installed (and a ASUS C-P2T CPU termination card on the other slot). I've got another CPU Intel Pentium II 233Mhz that i want to install on the second slot of the ASUS motherboard. I tried to connect it on but the system doesn't recognise it and don't want to boot. I tried to replace the first CPU of 266Mhz by the CPU of 233Mhz, again the system doesn't recognise it and don't want to boot.

what i need to do make the system work with that 2 CPU's ?

thanks already

laurent

Are You sure,what motherboard itself is good?
    Do not familiar with that particular board, but I think what motherboard have to start even without second CPU installed. At least, I was playing with PCChips M720 dual CPU also LX-chipset motherboard and all worked OK even with single CPU.
    Probably You should set second (266) CPU also as 233...

i got the pdf file for my ASUS P2L97-DS motherboard, it said that support 2 CPU's (and i can see on my hardware)but i think that's because my CPU have not the same frequency (233 and 266 Mhz).
    i really want to have the benefit of a dual CPU.

do you think is possible with to different frequency processor ?

thank you

laurent

Both of Your CPUs have to work together.
    Yes,it's required,what both processors should have exactly same stepping (i.e. both - Katmai or both - Mendocino),but not speed (although it's preferrable).
    233 and 266 P2 CPUs do have the same ID stepping.
    You can even underclock Your 266 processor,if You want (set as 233).
    May be,someone here has the same motherboard and can say You more,though...

thank you ruslan i underclock to 233Mhz and it work with 2 CPU's. i need to find now a second 266Mhz P2 and it will perfect.

thank a lot for your quick answer
    bye
    laurent

Talking

And hows about overclocking P2-233 CPU then?
    Now You can also try overclocking both CPUs using higher FSB (75MHz, for example)
    Good luck!

tell me, what should I do to overclock both CPU's ?

laurent

I'm pretty sure that both processors need to be identical. Have you read the manual for your board? You can find a list of download sites here:

http://www.filesearching.com/cgi-bin/s?q=p2l97ds-104.pdf&t=f&d=&l=en

You may want to update your computer's BIOS as a last resort:

http://www.asus.com/Products/Motherboard/bios_slot1.html

You may also find this site useful:

http://home.ica.net/~robert/overclock.htm

This guy didn't have too much luck trying to overclock his P2L97-DS.

As I have already said, it is not nesessary to have exactly the same processors, but both of CPUs must have exactly the same CPU ID stepping (and P2-233 and P2-266 CPUs do have the same stepping - Klamath,most likely).

MacGyger,You could find also quite a few posts regarding that problem,including Windrivers forums, stating what CPUs with different speed (but with same CPU ID) can be used together in dual CPU systems.
    And Mac,You have to agree,in link You mentioned that guy tried to use CPUs with DIFFERENT CPU IDs (i.e. Klamath and Deschutes) together.

Almost all Intel's CPUs do have fixed multiplier,so,easiest way to overclock these processors is using higher FSB, 75MHz instead of standard 66,for example.
    Just only make sure,what You have enough cooling and rest of components works stable at overclocked PCI bus.
    For example,right now we have ASUS P2L97 motherboard with over-ed P2-300 running at 75MHz
    with PC-133 memory just fine.That system worked stable even at 83MHz FSB, but CPU was running too hot .

Lo,these settings are listed in mentioned by MacGyver manual on page 15. Say many thanks to him for that quick link - if You were using Windrivers - they would charge You for that service .
    Leave multiplier as it is,and set FSB frequency as 68 or 75 MHz.
    Good luck!

THANK YOU SO MUCH RUSLAN AND MACGYVER, it was very kind of you to answer as freely as i think it should be this computer world.
    i will try to do the stuff for the overclocking asap

bye

laurent