HELP! I'm burning up processors. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HELP! I'm burning up processors.

Banned

go back where you bought and act like everybody else b@tch! tell em it blew youre mobo up see what they can do for you! now the regulator on the mobos probably toast dont use it on youre own stuff
    maybee a new fish tank heater might be a good use ???

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus

ilovetheusers, Milenko, Andi and NakedBoy are right!

If you don't have a heatsink, and that is at least a heatsink installed on one of the newer T-birds you can kiss it bye bye cause it will fry fry. If to say anythings important while installing the new socket A T-bird, it's installing a heatsink/fan squarely on the die, being sure the little feet, knobs, stands or whatever you may want to call them on the bottom of the heatsink aren't too long or too short. You must check to see if these little stands aren't creating more of a problem then their worth before you even install the T-bird in the socket. You must make sure you have the proper seat for the heatsink before you install it. You also want to make sure that you don't cock the heatsink while trying to set the retaining clip either for if you do, pray and hope nothing happened to that litely protected tin foil die cap for even a buckle can cause processor failure, and that little buckle doesn't even need to leave a dent behind. I usually lighten up the pressure on some of the retaining clips before install, you should only need apply about 2.5 - 3.5 lbs of pressure to install a clip for once it's installed where's it going? I've seen some retaining clips that required a screwdriver to seat the heatsink properly and that's too much! Arctic Silver and a little pressure is all you need. If I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me.
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

Thanks for the vote of confidence 3D but I'm the doof who's cooking eggs on my processors. I feel so dumb right now – but in all the systems I’ve built I’ve never seen anything like this sort of heat problem on the cpu.

Well, I guess a crapload of posts all saying the same thing can't be wrong. I still can't imagine that a chip could fry so fast. I mean - how can a heat sink really dissipate that much heat energy so fast??? How?

So, I put my old cpu in with my old cooling fan and the processor is running at less that 90 degrees. Guess I'll scrap the Orb fan and chalk it up to experience. I suppose they should change the advertisement from serious cooling to serious cooking. The fan is advertised to fit my mobo but you need to bend the fins on it to make it fit properly and then it's right on some capacitors. I guess I'll call the place I got it and see if they might take it back. If not, I'll go buy more chalk for experience.

Sowulo? - What did you delete? I missed it – just some guy ripping on me or something naughty? I don’t question your judgment, just curious.

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus

Originally posted by ilovetheusers:
    <STRONG>
    in all the systems I’ve built I’ve never seen anything like this sort of heat problem on the cpu.

I still can't imagine that a chip could fry so fast. I mean - how can a heat sink really dissipate that much heat energy so fast??? How?

So, now it comes down to scrapping the mobo or not – who votes I scrap the mobo too or try another processor first? Dang. It’s a nice mobo too.

</STRONG>
    1st - I'd have to say, with how thin the metal is that's covering the die on the newer T-birds, there's nothing to them, so yes, if there's no heatsink on them they fry as fast as a fuse.

2nd - If $60 won't break the bank, try a Duron on the motherboard first before you scrap your motherboard. It's cheaper than another ABIT mobo.

Notes: Duron die cases are just as thin as T-birds, match the heatsink up to it before installing, make sure it lies flush with the die. Some Orb coolers have odd lips/ledges on them, make sure the little feet keep the hs/f level and on the die being sure the feet aren't too long/short. If the little stands are off the ceramic it's not gonna work, could crush die again.

Remember there are differences from heatsink to heatsink, processor to processor. Although there isn't supposed to be any differences between processors, there is. Always check clearences before installation.
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Are you sure that it was a real orb? If you go to ThermalTake's website, http://www.thermaltake.com they say that they have had some problems recently with people selling fake orbs.
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Dreamer – You make me see the problem. I ordered the wrong cooling fan. Duh. Go here to see why I got this one and see if you understand why I got this fan for my kt7a-raid board. Anyone think I should be angry or just feel stupid?

Just fixed fan ad: Click Here!

A picture of what I saw:
    The ad I saw

After seeing this my roomie and I in our excitement grabbed this fan lickety split. Oops, gotta read the print over the pics. By the way, the fan that is the alternative is the one I already have.

I suppose that doing research before buying would have helped. I rush too much.

You answered your own question. When you put the heat sink on backwards and only half of the tape was touching, the processor cooked. Just powering up the second one without a heatsink was enough to fry it. These processors are not forgiving when it comes to any mistakes installing coolers. Always pay particular attention to the placement of the heatsink, its far too easy to get them backwards. (Note: I just replaced a K6-2-400 that fried because the heatsink was 1\8" away from the processor. It ran TWO YEARS that way!)

"I put my old processor in. POST! YAY!
    I put everything back on the system and pop it back on. I get to the bios to check the speed of the processor and there is an odd noise – crackle. My old processor is frying
    I power down and remove it. It looks all right but is too hot to touch after maybe 10 seconds. By default the processor is set to 500mhz and it is 800mhz – should be cool (in relative processor terms)."

Either you have damaged both proc. by not installing the orb correctly, or your motherboards voltage regulator is hosed.
    My Tbird never goes over 150f. even with 95+ ambient.
    "I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Voltaire.

Well, I'm glad to see that you found the cause of your problems. That's too bad that the site looked so ugly when you saw it, you might want to try to get some compensation for it or something. At least tell them that it made you fry a processor, and make them feel bad about it. I'm sorry you lost the TBird, I hope the same doesn't happen to me when I hook mine up later this week. (I'll check the website for my HSF)
    Hard work often pays off in the long run, but Lazyness always pays off now.

This is going to sound retarded but reseat the cables to the HDD
    Sofa King Retarded

Yeah tbone - I'm gonna call them and see if they will do anything. It's realy my own fault though. I need to do more research before getting new equipment I haven't used before, but it wouldn't have happened if I had the right stuff.

Cool

just out of curiosity...why do people put up with this just to save a dollar or two?
    out of all the hundreds of intel chips i have used never had one fry.
    if amd chips are that fragile shouldn't there be something done about it? why make the techs jump thru hoops just to get one to work?

Because it' not intel. The same reason people who know flock to linux. Because it's not the mass marketed giant that puts tracking chips in processors. That sort of thing. Why have chocolate when you could have vanilla...

Plus a PIII will fry just a quick if not properly cooled. The flip chip is setup exactly the same as athlon and will snap, crackle, and pop just the same.

As a side note:

I have two 1.2ghz t-birds with the Super ORbs on them (the one with two fans stacked on top of each other), and they run cool and stable. It's just a matter of making sure you have the damn things on right.

Hmmm, people seem to keep posting possible soltutions to this... Anyways, I agree with Milenko, as long as you have a good HSF that is approved for your processor and motherboard, the only difference between an Intel and an AMD will be better performance from your AMD. (I couldn't resist) Anyways, we've all had a few UFC fights about AMD vs. Intel, so let's not bother again.
    Hard work often pays off in the long run, but Lazyness always pays off now.