Formatting NTFS drive?

Thread: Formatting NTFS drive?

Post Formatting NTFS drive?

Hey there, I was just wondering how I can format an NTFS hard drive. When I boot off my Windows 98 CD, it does not recognize the NTFS file system of the drive. When I boot from my Win 2000 CD, it just takes me right into setup. Can someone please tell me how I can format this drive? Thanks very much!

Mustang

When the w2k setup starts there is an option to format the drive before the installation proceeds.

Since you are using a 98 boot disk, I assume you want to eliminate the NTFS partition and install Windows 98. Run Fdisk, remove the Non-Dos partition, create a Dos partition,make it active, reboot, and format C:.

No I dont want to install windows 98. Thats just the only boot disk I have that takes me to a DOS prompt, hehe. What I want to do is just plain format the partition, and leave NTFS file system the same, not FAT.

Are you running any current os like 2k?? If you're running 2k, then boot to SafeMode w/ command prompt and type format /fs:NTFS

Question

Hi All,

What exactly are you trying to do. I'm assuming that you have a blank harddrive and you want to just format the drive with NTFS with no OS. ????

Is this right, or are you going to install an OS like NT or 2K??

If you are going to put an OS on the drive, the OS will allow you to create, partition and format with NTFS.
    Damon Campbell (MCSE)
    New Zealand