[RESOLVED] How to set up DNS SERVER & HOST domain names on my home server

Thread: [RESOLVED] How to set up DNS SERVER & HOST domain names on my home server

Mcfly

Question How to set up DNS SERVER & HOST domain names on my home server

Hi,
    I must admit this is not for the faint of heart. I had a friend that is MCSE certified that made a few suggestions and he was not able to get it working. (of course he did this from memroy and did not have the luxury of 'seeing' what was going on)
    .....anyway

I want to be able to HOST the dozen domain names I own on my home server.

Hardware and Software:
    A cable modem connection w/static IP
    Linksys Router w/4 port hub
    Genuine Rack Server running Win2k Adv Server
    Second PC running Win2k Pro

What I have done so far:
    I disabled the DHCP on the Router and gave each computer its own designated IP address.
    (I wanted to run the DHCP from Win2K Server because it would allow me more options than the router)

I have adjusted configurations and played with port forwarding settings on the router but have had ZERO success getting the server functioning in that environment.

I am stumped (perplexed) as to the number of different settings and configurations to manage the Nameservers.
    If anyone has a Win2k Adv server running, and is familiar with DNS and router settings, they may be able to walk me thru the configurations.
    I am stumped with the terminology. I would be glad to attempt this thru an instant messenger service if anyone had the time to spare.

TIA McFly

In addition:
    How do I get a domain name that I own (such as xyz.com) to point (propogate) to my "in-home" server?
    I assume I have to change the DNS settings at the registrar

First thing I would worry about is the TOS with your provider.
    Hosting a domain or running a server will void your agreement, and they'll terminate your account.

------------------
    Who needs a life, I have Internet!
    Jim & Sue's Free Files | Jim's Modems
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]