printer problems

Thread: printer problems

Post printer problems

I installed a new mobo (DFI CA64-EC) and cpu (P3 933)...now i can't get my laser printer to work. It's a panasonic kx-p4410 (old, but stiil works good). I have it on lpt1. I tried a new mobo w/a via chipset (also tried intel chipset) and still nothing. The printer works fine on other computers and other printers work fine on this new one. I also installed a seconf lpt port....nothing...need help...

Try Printing to LTP1 in DOS it may be a configuration problem.
    i.e. run EDIT in DOS and open a text file and send it to the printer,this should then go via LTP1 to the connected printer.

Originally posted by Andi:
    Try Printing to LTP1 in DOS it may be a configuration problem.
    i.e. run EDIT in DOS and open a text file and send it to the printer,this should then go via LTP1 to the connected printer.
    A good answer, but it also depends what OS is in use. I have seen in the past where, say, NT drivers are loaded, and there are no DOS drivers, so printing is impossible.

Originally posted by Road Warrior:
    A good answer, but it also depends what OS is in use. I have seen in the past where, say, NT drivers are loaded, and there are no DOS drivers, so printing is impossible.
    As long as the system is running Win9x, booting to a command prompt and typing copy {name of text file here} lpt1 (e.g. c:\>copy autoexec.bat lpt1) should get some kind of output on the printer (no driver needed for this printer). If you have WinMe, NT4, or W2K, just boot to a floppy and do the same. This will at least let you know if the cable and printer port are working.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Lightbulb

In win9x try the spool settings in the printer properties if its set on RAW try setting it to use EMF or the other way around!!!
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"

Originally posted by fathead:
    ... I tried a new mobo w/a via chipset (also tried intel chipset) and still nothing ...
    Does this mean a complete different mobo? If yes then it's probably your OS-installation as a different mobo should be practically the same as a different computer (concerning the interfaces) - only the software hadn't changed...

Try removing the port in device manager and change the Bios setting for the Parallel port to "Standard". I've run into a few older printers that didn't like the ECP / EPP setting.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience