Office 2000 Professional

Thread: Office 2000 Professional

Post Office 2000 Professional

I have a machine that was infected with the PE_MTX.A virus. After cleaning the machine, Office 2000 no longer was operational. It kept trying to reinstall when bringing up Word. Tried to reinstall "Invalid version, remove present version & reinstall." Did that and now when I try to install, I get as far as the Install and Custom button. When I click on the install button, the window goes away and nothing happens. Any suggestions????
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Angry

Sounds to me like you will have to start from scratch. that bug screwed up too much to be able to recover from there.

Whenever I suspect a virus, I go to Symantec's or Mcafee's web pages to find repair information. They usually outline how to manually remove the virus damage done to the registry that causes problems similar to yours. Unfortunately, I can't find the PE_MTX.A virus listed. Are you sure you have the right virus identifier?

Red face

Thank you for the quick replies. I was afraid I might have to strat from scratch. Well, my customer won't be happy, but now they will have virus protection this time. In reply to the correct virus: "PE MTX.A" I used the underscore to facititate the space. Thanks again.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Wink

one last thing you might try is to try and install office to a different location instead of the default sometimes this can fix problems like that as well, just a thought

I've seen this happen in cases where Internet Explorer was upgraded since Office 2000 was installed. Best bet is to go to http://www.98lite.net and download Ieradicate. Use it to get rid of IE and then Office should re-install. It worked in my case. Then you can re-install IE if you so chose. I prefer to use Opera myself.

IE is part of office 2000.

office 2000 has this repair option, which has fixed most issues I have dealt with.