[RESOLVED] Windows Protection Errors - typical causes?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows Protection Errors - typical causes?

DisneyIsEvil

Resolved [RESOLVED] Windows Protection Errors - typical causes?

I have a CPU on my bench that is having a Windows Protection Error. I have tried several things to try and run this problem down. I was wondering what are the most common (and some not so common) causes of this blasted message.

A real-mode driver and a protected-mode driver are in conflict.
    The registry is damaged.
    The Win.com or Command.com file is infected with a virus or is damaged.
    A driver is being loaded from the System.ini file for which a protected-mode driver has already been initialized.
    There is a physical I/O or RAM address conflict.
    There are incorrect CMOS settings for a built-in peripheral device (such as cache settings, CPU timing, hard disks, and so on).
    the Plug and Play feature of the computer's BIOS is not working correctly.
    The computer contains a malfunctioning system cache or memory.
    The computer's motherboard is not working properly.

#3 1951-2001

3fingersalute

what type of CPU?

------------------
    [email protected]

DisneyIsEvil

It is a celly 433. I have changed out the ram. Removed the add-in cards. Scanned the system for virus with a boot disk from an unaffected machine with the latest updates (norton). I have invoked diagnostic startup in msconfig and disabled all elements of autoexec.bat and config.sys. all of this and i still get widows protection errors. I am thinking its eiter corrupted registry (the kid has just about every kind of shareware on that machine) or something has gone sewriously wrong with the cpu or mobo. any thoughts guys?

hey man, does it freak out going into safe mode too? If it doesn't then we know it probably is a driver or some sort of program loading up. You might want to see if it boots fine if you disable the onboard cache as well.

------------------
    hey its me again!
    hey its me again!

Weazel about covered em all dude. The only other cause that I know of for windows protection errors is a screwed processor. Luckily thats an easy thing to change out and eliminate. Always eliminate the easy stuff first!!!

------------------

WildTech

**I'd rather be lucky than smart!!**
    WildTech
    Unless your the lead dog, the view never changes!

I've also seen WPE's caused by programs. Some apps will try to write to a specific memory address range and if something is already resident in that range, WPE. Make sure you have a clean system with nothing extra loading in the background and see if the system is more stable running one app at a time.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Originally posted by WildTech:
    Weazel about covered em all dude. The only other cause that I know of for windows protection errors is a screwed processor. Luckily thats an easy thing to change out and eliminate. Always eliminate the easy stuff first!!!
    How can you eliminate the CPU? Is there another way other than replacing it?

3fingersalute

Exclamation

Sometimes you can troubleshoot a faulty processor by disabling internal cache in the BIOS, but it's not really that much work to drop a new processor in if you got one laying around or can borrow one from another machine for 5-10 minutes for testing.

------------------
    [email protected]

DisneyIsEvil

Tried the CPU yesterday, same results. The unit will go into safe mode without a problem which does lead me to believe that it is a bad driver becasue a bad motherboard (its an integrated one) would give me the same problem going inot safe mode right??

I would tend to agree with you. If it runs in safe mode fine, you probably have a bad driver or a corrupted registry with something that does not load in safe mode. Anybody know if he could have corrupted network settings, since safe mode will not load network drivers, unless you boot with network support? Try booting with log to see where it stops. Not always an answer but it may help.

I had a WPE come in yesterday. The guy had brought it to an at-home tech who told him the drive needed to be formatted and Windows reinstalled. The customer brough the to our shop so we could back-up his DATA (the at-home-guy couldn't do it).

I noticed that the computer booted fine in Safe Mode, so I deleted a few drivers. It ended up that the sound card driver was the problem. That sure made the customer's day. Minimum $35 fee and right out the door the same day.

You might want to see if a driver is the culprit.

[This message has been edited by SavagePenguin (edited September 14, 2000).]
    --------------------------
    Laugh at your problems... Everybody else does!