Kingston RAM

Thread: Kingston RAM

Post Kingston RAM

I was wondering what everyone's opinion of Kingston ram is. I have a customer who bought a bunch of parts and assembled himself a computer. Unfortunately he did not buy everything from us. He has already had a bad motherboard which we replaced. Now he's having problems that seem to come from the Ram. both of his sticks are giving him a problem, both are kingston. What are the odds of two bad sticks? They were bought a few days apart ( neither from us). I thought I remembered reading something about Kingston ram but I don't remember if it was good or bad? Can anyone enlighten me?

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

3fingersalute

We just recently started using Kingston RAM in our builds (about 2-3 months ago) and to date I think we've only had 1 bad DIMM that I can remember. I can't tell you much more than that, because we mostly used Siemen's before that.

------------------
    [email protected]

Thanks 3fingersalute, I think I have found the problem now anyway. It is now looking like the cpu is the problem. After running many, many, etc, etc.... memory tests in various configurations, I have begun to expext the cpu. It first appeared to be one or both sticks were bad but after replacing with known good memory I still had problems, and in dos!!! I have now replaced the cpu and so far no problems. Any more comments on Kingston memory would be appreciated. As a side note, I know over-voltaging a chip tends to burn it out faster, but what about under-voltage? I discovered after wiping some of the thermal grease off that he had the voltage set too low for the chip. (ie 2.2v instead of 2.3v ) I don't know if that was always the case or not but he had just bought a new board from us and set it up himself. Any way thanks for any and all comments.

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

I have heard they are ok, but I only use Micron. You can never beat a lifetime warrenty.
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Originally posted by winky:
    I have heard they are ok, but I only use Micron. You can never beat a lifetime warrenty.
    Yes you can. die early.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

3fingersalute

Originally posted by winky:
    Kingston does have lifetime warranty!

------------------
    [email protected]

I have seen Kingston RAM in many systems and never found any bad ones. Nor have I ever heard of any problems with it.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.