[RESOLVED] win386.swp

Thread: [RESOLVED] win386.swp

lost_soul

Resolved [RESOLVED] win386.swp

I got a machine here that has the Windows 95 swap file sitting on the root drive, after deleting it in DOS mode, Windows of course recreates it, but it is still putting it on the root. I have looked through the system and the registry with no luck, does anybody know how to tell Windows where to create the swap file?....In the system all I can pick is the drive that I want.

Cytek

Unfortunately the only thing I couls find in theregistry that pertained to the swap file was an entry in the \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Applets\Microsoft Backup\ExcludeFiles the %anyvol% key and the %WINDIR% key none of which appear to be what you are looking for. I will continue to research and let you know what I come up with.

thier is information in the system.ini pertaining to location and size of the swapfile (at least what drive letter it is one...)

Lightbulb

to change the location of the swap file (you cant move it or deletit physicaly, windows gets very angry or just recreates it) on a win 9x system you need to right click on "My computer" go to "propertys" Select the "performance" tab. the go to "virtual memory". Select teh let me specify radio button. Select you new location, and size (total RAM + 12 MB for a Minimum with no max.)select ok, and ok out of all open windows. Windows will move the file on reboot. Check to verify the move, then go back to the "virtual memory" settings, Set it back to "let windows manage" if not already done so (mine did this automaticaly, and retained the move) by re-enableing windows management you give windows control, but retain the location setting you specified (mine did so this should be true). I highly recomend that you let windows manage the VMM it will save you difficulties in the future.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.