modem

Thread: modem

Question modem

I have a customer who has a HP Vectra. They need it reloaded but have no drivers. The case locks on with a key ..which they have also lost. I can get everything except the modem identified. Is there anyway for me to ID the modem without getting in and looking at it? they have no idea what it could be

shawnMt

Does it have an OS installed at all so you can look at the modem in control panel, safe mode maybe? There are a few dos hardware identifiers - look through windrivers utils for one called diag95 and also the ultimate boot disk is in the weekly utils right now. It has a hardware indentifier also.

If it's an older vectra it's probably a hardware isa that you could set up as standard modem. Just some thoughts...

------------------
    GENERAL FAILURE READING DRIVE A:
    (A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer?

Paint your old laptop!

A lot of times when you are booting up, during post, the chipset of the modem is displayed before you go into windows. Something like "ISA Device"?!?!?

Just a thought. I don't know how much that will help.
    I was here, here I was, was I here? I hope I was....

was the modem installed when the PC was bought or was it a later instalation i thought Vectras only came with ethernet cards as they were primarily designed for business goto http://www.hp.com/desktops/vectra/
    it also lists the spec at the bottom if all else fails then to save all the hassle use an external modem and forget the one inside
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

Thumbs down

no, os not installed
    Chipset not displayed
    Added later....still unknown

pci modem

speedbump

I recommend cutting torch to the lock.