How do YOU install windows?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU install windows?

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Post How do YOU install windows?

I make a directory on the c: drive, win95,win98 or win9x depending on version, copy the contents of the corresponding directory on the windows cdrom, then run setup from the c: drive. i find it easiest, as when i am done windows will look for files, by default, where they were installed from and it saves me and the client time navigating to the cab files.
    I notice that most major manufacturers place it in c:\windows\options\cabs. Is there anything to be gained doing it that way?

[This message has been edited by techs (edited September 18, 2000).]

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

shawnMt

That's where I always put the cabs. The only thing gained is it's a standard way to do it. That way if you're working on a machine for the first time you don't have to hunt them down, wonder whether they are on the drive, or search for *.cab

------------------
    GENERAL FAILURE READING DRIVE A:
    (A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer?

Paint your old laptop!

The same way.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.

Format that HD, make a directory chain C:\Windows\Options\Cabs\, copy all the cabs there, and then run setup via a msbatch.inf I made. Makes life alot simplier. Put that all on a CD, made it bootable, added a menu system (Still working on that one) and BAM! It's just that easy folks NERO!!!

I copy the .cabs to the hard drive for windows reloads.
    For brand new builds I use the system builder OPK or whatever that is called. I put the floppy in the drive, cd in the tray, start it and after the Fdisk and reboot, I can walk away. Works great!

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

Darren Wilson

Ditto to all the above apart from I create a directory called CABS then attrib it to be hidden, so Customers don't delete it off of their drive. I also use a msbatch.inf file for the hands free installation.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

The industry standard is C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS. If I don't find the files there, I will copy them there and make the registry fix to point there.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent Version\Setup

Key= Source (dword value)
    Value= c:\windows\options\cabs

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

gren

Wink

First I cut a big hole in the wall, then I put in block spacers for the frame.. then the pane of glass goes in..

I usually backup my data to a slaved drive and fdisk/format the master. I copy the cabs to the freshly formatted drive and run setup from whatever dir for whatever OS I run. I haven't been in the practice of dual booting OS's, so anytime I want to change my OS, I usually just wipe what I had and install fresh. The way I see it, if you want NTFS, go Win2k/NT.. if you want Fat32, go Win98/ME. It's too much of a pain in the a$$ for me to boot both...

Yeah, we follow the most of the same general ideas, but sometimes we have large build (400+) of identical machines for clients, we create a master drive then ghost it, then remove the Windows reg prod key. Cabs on the HDD that is such a godsend when a CD-ROM drive dies...or CD goes missing (happens to me at my house all the time)
    -----------
    "I dont care about apathy."
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."
    -how to live a life well spent

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    Ditto to all the above apart from I create a directory called CABS then attrib it to be hidden, so Customers don't delete it off of their drive. I also use a msbatch.inf file for the hands free installation.

I like the hidden attribute idea! What is the msbatch.inf ? first i have heard of it.

[This message has been edited by techs (edited September 19, 2000).]
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Windows\options\cabs here too

Typically - I create a windows\options\cabs directory - copy installation files and install. I have also made an installation cd to automate.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

We use the windows OPK wizard to create an unattended install , by default it puts all cabs in the options\cab dir.

techs , if you buy a mulitpack of windows OEM there are instructions on how to create an unattended install.
    Life is good...sometimes...

shawnMt

98 preload is a good thing - anyone make an ME preload disk yet?

------------------
    GENERAL FAILURE READING DRIVE A:
    (A)bort, (R)etry, (G)et a beer?

Paint your old laptop!

c:\windows\options\cabs

------------------
    Three things are certain: Death, taxes, and lost data.
    Guess which has occurred.
    Three things are certain: Death, taxes, and lost data.
    Guess which has occurred.