[RESOLVED] University Network Privacy

Thread: [RESOLVED] University Network Privacy

LRDSTNLY

Resolved [RESOLVED] University Network Privacy

A friend of mine, who will be attending an unnamed university this fall, recently told me about a policy at this school which states that no student can have mp3 files on their computer. I would assume this is due to the recent piracy fad supposedly caused by napster and similar programs. He maintained that the school had a way to check for these files on student computers and workstations via the TCP/IP network. My question is, is there such a way that the Microsoft Networking permissions could be set so that the school admin would have no access to his computer and he would be able to maintain contact with the network? Not to say that hes interested in piracy, but theres a certain amount of privacy to respect. . . If anyone has any ideas, let me know. . .

Disable file and print sharing under network properties, either completely or under the bindings for the tcp/ip > "adapter" that is used to connect to the network.
    The grace of God, thru the shed blood of His son Jesus, has brought me this far; and by His continued blessing, my business meets my needs and I continue to grow. Amen

maybe its just me, but isnt that an invasion of privacy?
    prompt $p$g [dos = elite]

On one of the other forums there someone asked about a free firewall.. I'm asking not telling BTW. Couldn't this same software be used to stop the uni staff from rooting around on his PC. What does everyone else think.
    I am presuming this is on your friends own PC and in a dorm?
    Failing that he could use removable media and unplug the critter from the network when he used MP3's. I think that is an invasion of privacy too. If they can do it they still shouldn't
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

caemery

without file and print sharing, it is not easy. They would most likely monitor the sites visited via their proxy server. Then they know which users are doing what, but they can't monitor everything on everybody, so they will probably just ban the ports for napster, etc. As for privacy, you give that up to certain respect when you agree to live on university property.