[RESOLVED] A7V and a NIC: Not working

Thread: [RESOLVED] A7V and a NIC: Not working

Xavier

Post A7V and a NIC: Not working

Got a nice new Asus a7v with a nice Thunderbird 800 for someone. Everything is working great and very fast exept for one thing: The network card.

The system detects and installs the card fine and all that. But when I plug it into a hub it floods the network with crap and collisions are maxed out. Either that or there seems to be no connection at all. I have tried both a 3com 905c and a 905b and neither work.

Whats wrong? Motherboard or nics? I am going to scrounge around for another nic and check back later. Please help.

Check ASUS site for BIOS updates.I have seen so many problem with "latest" (and immature)ASUS BIOSes.
    Use 3Com diagnostic util, what comes with all
    3Com cards.

By the way, which OS You use?

Xavier

Its doing the same thing in both win98se and winme.
    I finally found a card that doesn't flood the network when I put it in the system. But it doesn't really work at all as far as netork stuff goes. Its like there is major major interference running against the card.

The board has the newest bois availble. Will try the diagnostic as well.
    HELP!

Apache

Similar problem was experienced by me. Someone suggested using the PCI slot NEAREST to the AGP slot. This has done the trick. All working well and no flooding on the network either. However, be warned that slot shares IRQ with AGP (at least that is my understanding) check the Manual to be 100% sure.

Xavier

I think there is must be something wrong with the board.
    -Switching slots does not matter.
    -Bios revision does not matter.
    - Nic model or manufactrer does not matter
    -software does not matter
    -OS does not matter (tried win98se and winme)
    -everything else works fine
    -changing bios settings doesn't matter (i have seen that byte merge: disabled) can fix it but that did not work for me.

I setup another PC with the board and pretty much the same config and had no problems at all.
    Its a pain because I got it from an online site and replacements are always a hassel.

Had a soyo board once that I tried 10 different nic's in and none would work
    os would it no problem and load drivers but it couldn't see the network, I was pulling my hair out, swapped mobo and bingo

------------------
    What do you think this is ? The Holiday Inn...
    Where's that smoke coming from ?

Xavier

Looks like that may have to be the solution. Its just a real hassel as I bought it online and I may have to return the whole system when its just the motherboard. Makes rethink the whole online buying problem.
    Think I would have any success getting a replacement from ASUS?

Xavier

Got it working some how. there must be another bios switch that affects nic's, although I don't know what one it is. I ending up using a 3com 905c card, the dlink I first set up did not like the board at all.
    I am using the 1003 bios as that seems to work best.