[RESOLVED] No sound for ms-dos games that use an 8-bit DMA sound channel

Thread: [RESOLVED] No sound for ms-dos games that use an 8-bit DMA sound channel

courvier

Question No sound for ms-dos games that use an 8-bit DMA sound channel

I am having a problem with getting a Sound Blaster Live! Value card to work with my older games that require an 8-bit DMA sound channel. When i load an application using an 8-bit DMA sound channel, my computer "locks up" having to reboot the computer. I don't know if its the main board, sound card, or what. But maybe, you might tell me how i can get 8-bit DMA to work on my system, i have tried lots of things so far, but still cant get it to work. Actually, any once in a while, when i run an 8-bit DMA sound game, it might work with 8-bit sound, but then when i reboot the computer it probably wont work again, i noticed that it only works when i leave my computer on for about 5 hours untouched, then when i run an 8-bit DMA sound game, it might work with sound. I would like to get it working all the time (wether i reboot or not). I know that the 16-bit DMA works fine on this system.

These are the things I tried so far: I tried Windows SE and Windows ME with the newest updated sound drivers for each OS, I tried an AWE32 sound card and had other weird problems with that (but im not to worried about that, cause I want the SBlive! to run on this system), The motherboard is a Biostar M7MKA system board with an AMD k7 750 CPU. The chipset is an AMD AMD-751 and AMD-756 chipset. I flashed my BIOS with Biostar's mainboard with the new bios update (it doesn't work before and after the flash), I did install the drivers that came with the system board CD, I also tried using the same files that were on the CD from biostar's website, I tried to use multiple applications that use 8-bit DMA (none worked of course with 8-bit DMA sound channel). I tried the file sbego.exe (same thing happened, the system crashed). I tried to put the card in different expansion slots, I tried running it in dos (real mode), but it crashed. I put that same sound card in another computer and it worked fine with 8-bit DMA sound. This system is brand new (just bought it). Everything else works fine with sound, it's just that 8-bit DMA sound. The old games I try to run with it are: doom, doom2, heretic, hexen, TIM2, lemmings, and more that I cant remember. I have had 3 experienced A+ certified PC technicians take a look and try to fix this problem, but neither of them knew what to do about it. Plus I'm A+ certified myself.

I think the problem is with the motherboard, because I tried multiple OS's, multiple sound cards, and with different computers, multiple applications, multiple I/Os, DMA channels, IRQs, from device manager, the application, and from autoexec.bat file. EVERYTHING else on this computer works perfectly fine.

I don't understand, I know it works (but only any once in a while, and it's VERY rarely), My questions are, is there any known issues about having this same problem on other computers using the BIOSTAR M7MKA system board? Is there a certain driver update that will fix this intermittent error? I tried emailing Biostar, but they don't seem to be very helpful.

I'm sorry for this long email, but you have no idea how many different things I have tried and how much time I spent trying to fix this problem and how much this means to me. I'm hoping that I will get some help from somebody that knows whats going on about this.

Thanks for ANY information or advice that you can give me!

I've this problem!!!!!!

andrea993, there are some useful instructions in this thread -> http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Basically, switching to 8 Bit dma is a DOS function and the game. afaik, MUST run in DOS.

gl to ya