Increasing cpu speed?

Thread: Increasing cpu speed?

Post Increasing cpu speed?

I have an HP 6470z PII 400hz and changed the jumper settings to 500hz but the BIOS still thinks it's a 400hz unit. I must be missing something here or is that it? Do I need an upgrade to my BIOS and where can I get the upgrade? Thanks for any help on this.

Exclamation

I wasn't able to find your model number...please verify and go here for HP's drivers & downloads.
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Your clock multiplier on that CPU is locked at 4X. If you wish to experiment with squeezing out a little more performance you would need to increase the FSB (front side bus) from 100MHz to something a little faster. For example 4X100=400 (current). 4X110=440. No idea what your motherboard supports for FSB settings but if you can push that CPU a little faster I really doubt that any difference would be noticable....not worth the risk of frying something....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

The BF is at 100mhz which is the multiplier for 350-500mhz and 66mhz for 233-333mhz. So, it should be capable of doing it, but, it is not seeing it as 500mhz. I remember seeing a program that you can run to check your clock speed but I don't remember where I saw it, any ideas?

[quote]Originally posted by swervay:
    The BF is at 100mhz which is the multiplier for 350-500mhz and 66mhz for 233-333mhz. So, it should be capable of doing it, but, it is not seeing it as 500mhz. I remember seeing a program that you can run to check your clock speed but I don't remember where I saw it, any ideas?

Not BF, FSB. That is not the multiplier. The multiplier is how many times the FSB. Your motherboard supports multipliers of 3.5X to 5X at 100MHz. Your current processor is a 400 which will only run at 4X. 4 times 100 equals 400. That is the speed your system will run at. The only way to get it to 500 is to buy a 500 processor and change the motherboard setting from 4X100 to 5X100. Reread my previous post maybe it will make a little more sense to you now.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

[quote]Originally posted by Sowulo:
    ...if you can push that CPU a little faster I really doubt that any difference would be noticable....not worth the risk of frying something....

True. I was running a PIII 450, and a few months ago I swapped it out for a PIII 550 and I hardly noticed any difference. Just my 2 cents.
    Hello World

in my opinion the 450 p2's where the most robust and stable processors - much better than the 500 i had, anyhow just my opinion.. but as for trying to overclock, it really isnt worth the hassle of doing it + without sufficent cooling i wouldnt even tell you where to start, i would look into another board + processor if your really serious about the extra speed, good luck.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.