need help flashing a gvcfr500

Thread: need help flashing a gvcfr500

Post need help flashing a gvcfr500

just been given a socket7 mobo with corrupted bios.
    motherboard gvc fr500 Which is identical to the bcm in5598
    code on bios chip am29f002nbt-120jc.

I had troublems finding the bios file for the gvc
    so downloaded one for the identical bcm in5598 mobo.
    firstly could someone give me a list of commands for use with the flasher? what i need to do is config it so that the pc will boot automatically load the flashing utility flash the bios file and then reboot.
    secondly does anyone know were i can download the original bios file for the gvc mobo?
    thirdly the rerason i ask the previous questions are as follows.
    E R R O R...
    ------------------------------->

okay i'm currently using awardflash v6.21 with bios file 6698-100.bin.
    I boot with the floppy in the drive, award flash starts automatically but the following error message apperars ' source file not found'
    I cannot boot with a standard boot disk because im told that the file awdflash could not be found.
    I tried using the updated bios file but the same thing happened.
    I cannot type anything in the flasher program.
    command line is as follows awdflash.exe 5598-100.bin /Sn
    E R R O R...

the BIOS here so far down the page

info on the board

and i tend to create a blanc floppy, copy the awdflash tools over, and use dos 6.22 / win95 machine to sys the floppy

sys a: at the command prompt,
    boot and run the command ie

awdflash "filename"

But if your using a compatible rom, you may need to do something different, look for Ruslan's updating BIOS thread via search option you will find all the info you need in there im sure.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

quote:
    does anyone know were i can download the original bios file for the gvc mobo
    All the links on the GVC site are dead. The files on the ftp have been wiped. We have spent a few hours on GVC in the chatroom... and come up blank. Sorry

Did come up with the video drivers and the sound drivers though.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

LoL!
    Unbelievable, but I do have exactly the same motherboard in my home collection!
    I have bought it few years ago as Packard Bell PB850 motherboard, what turned out be in fact ... GVC FR500 motherboard (using hardware info utility) . And, as addition, I received few letters from one guy (from Russia), who has bought exactly same motherboard ... as BCM IN5598 motherboard! He was looking for BIOS update, and I helped him
    He did check his motherboard using all known methods, and it turned out be ... really GVC FR500 motherboard!
    And I know, what that particular motherboard was used in some of NEC computers...

Take into account, what now GVC's motherboard manufacturing department has been taken over ... by BCM company (at least I've heard such rumours about it from another source),so, I'm not surprized.

But...Dr_jones, Your problem - You're using an old awdflash utility version for reflashing new type of flash chip (AMD Am29f002nbt-120jc).
    That particular version of awdflash utility does not support that particular flash chip, and that's caused Your problem.
    Besides that, I remember I did BIOS update for that motherboard, and that procedure rather remind me updating firmware for Phoenix BIOS motherboards...
    As I have said it in Garak's topic about PCPartner, I would rather recommend You to use new AMIflash utility - at least, that utility have to able to recognize Your AMD flash chip.

BCM IN5598:  -

About BIOS file - I can make a copy from my motherboard, if You can't find it on WWW.

Ruslan, can you confirm that the link GARAK put up (which links to the bios download) is indeed the correct version? Would the pb bios update stick or have pb done something to it?

There: better Freddy?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Banned

quote:
    Originally posted by NooNoo:
    Ruslan, can you confirm that the link Freddy put up (which links to the bios download) is indeed the correct version? Would the pb bios update stick or have pb done something to it?

hang on , i go to pub for an hour and am told i posted links ,,,,noo noo , where did i post a link?

don,t do bioses ,,,,,leave it for ruslan

FtF

LOL freddy, I havent been to the pub, it might have been better if I did, I meant Garak... my bad [Wink]

I tried the latest version of award flash and unfortunatley got the same problem.
    Didn't try amiflash but afraid i cannot know since i got rid of the mobo.. I figured that maybe the boot block was garbled and since i dont have a 32pin dip to 32pin plcc convertor couldn't reflash entire chip on my asus board..
    I might have to get the thing back and try again with amiflash if you think that might solve the problem.
    Thanks for your help.
    Oh and ruslan if you read this , is there anychance of the diagrams for the zif socket convertor that you mention in your hot swapping guide??the one that ets me plug a 32pin plcc into a 32pin dip socket.. thanks
    E R R O R...

better post actually that the bios files that i downloaded form the above link were actually recognised by the flasher(awdflash) but unfortunately flash type remained undetected, no keyboard available in flasher app and the process just stalled , left it for about 20mins, but didnt go any further than listing the file name of the bios file to flash.
    E R R O R...

I'm downloading the BIOS updates right now and will try it today. I'll let You know about results. Also I did the copy of my current BIOS, and can send to You,if needed. [Wink]

O'k, here are my results... [Wink]
    I did sucsessfully reflashing using downloaded from that site BIOS update tool.
    It did bootable (Win98) diskette with awdflash,BIOS file and autoexec.bat for reflashing.
    Process went without problem,awdflash recognized the BIOS chip (by the way, the same as Your),erased, reflashed, rebooted PC and... LoL! I've got older version of BIOS than I was having before...
    So, I reflashed back my an "old" BIOS...

1. I tried AMIflash utility, and it didn't recognized my chip.
    2. Also I tried new Uniflash utility, and it did recognize the chip.
    3. And I used older (version 5.35) of awdflash for reflashing back my original BIOS also with no problem.

So,I was wrong - that utility (what comes with BIOS update) works with that particular chip...

So,if flash utility recognizes Your BIOS chip - should be no problem for reflashing it back.
    From what You have said, I would assume,what only bootblock is survived in Your motherboard (that's why keybord isn't working).
    So,You should have to create bootable disk, copy to this disk awdflash utility,BIOS file and create appropriate autoexec.bat for working in unattended mode.
    It could be look like this keystroke:
    awdflash filename.bin /F /Sn /Py

where /F - using buit-in original flash chip reflashing routine (needed for reflashing boot blocks - may be not working in some of an old versions).
    /Sn - do not save an old BIOS,
    /Py - confirming reflashing new BIOS file.

Good luck! [Wink]

unfortunately i tried the exact same procedure that you reccomend and still the process failed.... same command line parameters, same utility and by the looks of it the same bios file.. the guy who gave it(the mobo) to me is sending it back and i will hopefully have a new one sent to me. Unfortunately im a little busy at the moment to invest to much time to the mobo, as much as id liked to have got it running again.
    Thanks for all your help..sorry it was in vain
    E R R O R...