[RESOLVED] cd-rom / hard drive issues

Thread: [RESOLVED] cd-rom / hard drive issues

The Real SlyVenom

Angry cd-rom / hard drive issues

I have run into a rather starnge problem..
    I replaced a cd-rom,hard drive and edo ram on an old pc.
    i can not determine the board..
    it has the sis chipset, and
    S155P AIO Rev 1.0 stamped in the lower right corner.
    anyway i installed the ram no problems
    i replaced the dead cd-rom, no problem
    i formated the hard drive,
    Big problem.. said it couldn't format due to an incorrect size displayed or some such.
    I fdisked the hard drive and tried to repartition it...
    it couldn't verify drive integrety
    no problem I replaced it
    have the new hard drive partioned and formatted
    Now, when I hook up the hard drive the cd-rom drive won't detect
    If I unhook the hard drive I can usually get the cd-rom to detect...
    of course this is off of a dos boot floppy, as I can not reinstall an OS without a cd-rom drive and a Hard-drive

Can Anyone Help Me??

p.s. i'll try to slave the cd-rom and hook it up to the primary chain.. who knows..

p.s.s. the cd-rom is a 42x Aopen and the HD is a 1.2 GB Quantum Fireball, they both work..

p.s.s.s. I really don't want to replace the board.. I might try a different power supply too when I get back from class..

Also I need to reinstall win 95 (not win 95B) off of a CD, does anyone have a Win95 boot disk or pointers about installing win95 that might be helpful.. Not used to working with such antiquated technology

MacGyver

Could be a bad IDE cable.

If you're going to Install Win95, make sure you download all the patches available for it. Especially SP1 and the Y2K patch.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

professadainty

Question

I had the same problem a couple of months ago. I replaced the hard drive in an old pc and couldn't get the pc to recognize the Cd rom. I had the hard drive and the cd rom on one IDE cable. I placed the cd rom on secondary and left the hard drive on primary and the pc detected the cd rom and I was then able to install windows.

------------------

Shakespeare on Windows: "To freeze, or not to freeze, that is the question".

Ya_know

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by The Real SlyVenom:

i replaced the dead cd-rom, no problem
    i formated the hard drive Big problem.. said it couldn't format due to an incorrect size displayed or some such.
    I fdisked the hard drive and tried to repartition it...
    it couldn't verify drive integrety
    no problem I replaced it
    have the new hard drive partioned and formatted
    Now, when I hook up the hard drive the cd-rom drive won't detect If I unhook the hard drive I can usually get the cd-rom to detect...
    of course this is off of a dos boot floppy, as I can not reinstall an OS without a cd-rom drive and a Hard-drive

</font>
    The problem you are having with the first hard drive, sounds like drive overlay software, unless the drive is wasted...Is that the quantum? I found this interesting when looking for their downloads: http://www.quantum.com/Service+and+S...es/Default.htm .

If it is Overlayed, you need to go to Maxtor and download and created the floppy for the overlay. It may not be needed on the drive, as someone who didn’t know better may have installed the overlay. You will still need the floppy to remove it. If it is required, use it to repartition it correctly...Again, this is only if the MoBo requires that the drive be masked to identify it, since you got a second drive to work, maybe stick with that, unless there is a need to salvage the old drive.

As to the CDROM problem, Sounds like a cable select issue. Are you using the correct jumper setting for the device, and have you tried new cable, as suggested above? Don't try to use logic with jumpers, go to the documentation for the drive, or the web site and get the straight scoop and do it right.

Good luck!

------------------

The Real SlyVenom

Unhappy

Replaced the ide cable and the hard drive and cd-rom work now, but windows 95 still won't load properly..
    it will run setup, restart the machine then give me errors and restart...
    it boots into safe mode just fine however..
    I installed the hard drive in a different system and plan on running tests on it..
    I swear this machine is cursed, it's one failure after another...
    I wish the company would have left it in the closet to gather dust, I'm a technician, not a paleontoligist.....

The Real SlyVenom

Smile

Got it
    I copied the win95 dir to the hd and installed it from there, it still errored out when it tried to run windows for the fist time, i finally unhooked the cd-rom drive and restarted it
    it started just fine and finnished setting up windows
    the i turned it off and hooked the cd-rom drive back up
    and it booted and installed the cd-rom drive no problem...
    the only thing I can think of is that the new cd-rom drive was causing problems for old win95...
    bizare.....