[RESOLVED] Icons randomly jumping around the desktop...

Thread: [RESOLVED] Icons randomly jumping around the desktop...

manster

Question Icons randomly jumping around the desktop...

Got a customer's Pc here and the iconson the desktop are randomly jumping around. I know of a prank program that causes this called 'crazyicons, but you can stop that easily by ctl-alt-del or shutting it off on the taskbar. When this program runs on this person's PC, their are no programs running other than explorer and systray. Rundll is running on startup which makes me think I gotta track down a .dll file as well as an .exe. Since the PC in windows '95 B I can't use selective startup in msconfig. This program doesn't register when it's running and there's no way to turn it off. There isn't any refenerence in the startup folder 2 it either. I'm running outa ideas.... please help us windrivers, you're our only hope....

Red face

Sounds like the Magistr virus. After a couple of months it causes the icons to jump around.

MTCW
    Everyone should believe in something....I believe I'll have another beer.......

awesome !!! that crazyicons sounds kwel !!! maybe i should put that on my teachers computer.
    WARNING
    :: I am NOT held responsible for any damages on your coumputer. ::

manster

Interesting. Before I posted I downloaded the latest definitions for Inoculate IT and it found 15 - 20 occurances of the Magistr virus. However after a full scan of the hard drive and Inoculate reporting that it has restored all of the original files, the problem is still persisting. Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem ever since I installed a second video card. Each time I boot, the Icons have all switched places. I have deleted ShellIconCache but no change.

It often takes more than one scan to find and fix the infected files. Some viruses can hide from scanners in windows and come back on the next boot-up. For more information on Magistr please follow this link.
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/[email protected]

Note final sentence - danaged files must be restored from backups or original disks.
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.