Opinions on web camera

Thread: Opinions on web camera

Post Opinions on web camera

Hi everyone,
    well i'm looking to purchase a web camera. i just want a web camera for video conferencing and still pictures. i don't really want it to do digital pictures. so, i was looking at a few different ones.
    1) Intel pro pc camera $100
    2) Intel Easy USB pc camera pack $49.99
    3) Logitech Quickcam Express USB $49.99
    4) Intel Deluxe pc camera $59.99
    5) Creative video blaster webcam plus $59.99

These prices are either at Best Buy or Compusa. so, my question is out of these I listed, what would you recommend for good quality pictures. I can read the description on the packages,but if anyone has used these and would recommend it. Or if you would recommend another one, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

------------------
    "To Serve, To Strive and Not To Yield" ---Outward Bound
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

IT Len

I think you'll be happy with the Intel Pro cam...for web use only. [Still and Digital photography is the same thing, only the quality varies.] Although these things do take stills, you'll be way disappointed if you expect even moderate quality. They're handy for snapshots to send via email or web conferencing, and that's about it.

Also, you'll find that unless you have a broadband connection, video conferencing with these things is difficult, at best. Even with a fast dialup connection, you're better off turning the video on for a second, waving "hello", turning it off, and continuing in audio mode!

With some high speed broadband connections, you actually get great audio/video conferencing...but, finally, keep in mind that some cable and DSL connections don't really look all that much better than a fast dialup!

------------------
    "How stange it is that men are so rash as to dare to reprehend what they cannot possibly comprehend!" St. Bernard

[This message has been edited by IT Len (edited October 10, 2001).]

With any digital cam, you want three things, depending on what you use it for the most.
    If you want high quality stills, go for resolution (most have 640x480 or less, so be careful, higher is better).
    If you want smooth video, go for FPS. Some will only do 30 or less, more is better.
    If you take LOTS of stills, check it's memory capacity, some will only hold as few as 8 or 10 pics, and some will hold hundreds. The larger will also (sometimes) hold up to 10 minutes of digital video (Intel has a nice one, don't remember the model though, sorry).
    A couple of other things to consider:
    What software comes with the cam? Is it streaming web, or just photo edit crap?
    Does the cam have a flash (or a place to plug one in) if you need it for indoor/low light situations? Is the cam sensitive enough to not need a flash in low light?
    Does it store the pics/video on a memory card, floppy, or other interface? How much do extra cards cost? Will you need them?
    What interface do you want to have with your computer? Serial, USB, etc.?
    Some will only do video while plugged into your comp. Is this acceptable?
    If you just want a webcam, you can get them for as low as $15 (maybe less), but...does it have a focus, what software, etc...

------------------
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! Jim & Sue's Free Files | Jim's Modems | [email protected]
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]

Thanks for all the info. what i mainly want to use it for is video conferencing. i'm using a cable modem and the other person is using a dial up. So out of that list above, the Intel Pro is good for video conferencing? I'll keep those ideas in mind when I'm making my decision.

------------------
    "To Serve, To Strive and Not To Yield" ---Outward Bound
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

pmailloux

Wink

Well I have a Creative Webcam 3 and im pretty happy with its performance, but as others have said your internet speed will affect alot of the video conferencing quality.