ghosting a laptop hdd? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ghosting a laptop hdd?

If you don't need super speed, use a usb to usb crossover cable. I have done this and it's fairly fast.
    My Cultlike following is now accepting applications

Cool

We use Drive Image to make an iamge and copy it to a system with a CD Burner, burn the image to cd and then make a boot disk with the drive image software on. Boot up with the disk and start drive image (Or create a batch file to launch it when you boot up) Choose the image and copy away.
    "He didn't hit ya, He didn't bump ya, He Rub ya, and Rubin Son is Racing" -Days of Thunder

If it's Win9x, Ghost will work right there in windows. If you have a CD-R to use, (Already on laptop, or removable like Iomega's) you can burn right then and there. (With the latest version of Ghost.) OR.....you can use the Ghost boot disk and boot with CD-ROM support and use the aforementioned CD-R technique. Other than that...I think we've already pounded in the Network option. It's called Multi-Casting and it works very well. We use it daily at the shop.

If this is going to be an ongoing issue, I would HIGHLY suggest setting up a Ghosting station. Prefereably a computer with a large Hard Drive to store all of your .gho images. Use that computer to multi-cast all of your images. It will save you countless hours of work.
    if(post.eof()){SigBox.setText("Have A Day.");}

I use Ghost2K for lap tops as well. Only takes an adapter to work it.
    I dont feel tardy...

In using a DOS driver for the PCMCIA NIC, there may be some issues with the PCMCIA interface for the laptop.

I tried to do this from a multi-cast boot disk with the proper drivers for the card, however, the PCMCIA NIC could not attach to the network due to lack of PCMCIA card service support.

In short, the driver loaded but could not attach to the network due to a driver needed for interface between hard drive and NIC.

Good luck.
    Yeah, my boss is jerk too, it's always, "Igor, go for brains, Igor go for sandwiches". I dunno, gimme another beer.

Here's what I would do based on having the equipment:

Use a network adapter (PCMCIA or a parallel model would suffice), ghost the machine up to the network, change the drive out and ghost it back.

I you don't have a network or adapter, try a laplink cable and back it up to another machine.

Otherwise you need a special rig to run both drives at the same time. Don't remember who makes them, but I think they used to come with upgrade drives when I was at Searle/Monsanto...

Hope this helps!

Kenny P.

[quote]Originally posted by fathead:
    <strong>Mayhem, where can I get the adapter??????</strong><hr></blockquote>

And an even Cheaperone can be found here...

<a href="http://www.hitechcafe.com/eshop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1&sku=MSC2%2E5ADA" target="_blank">http://www.hitechcafe.com/eshop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1&sku=MSC2%2E5ADA</a>

Even comes with rails for Case mounting if needed.

I'm gonna get a couple myself. Got a few laptop drives and no and no homes for them. Might as well put them in a desktop.
    Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun!
    -Ashley J. Williams

[quote]Originally posted by cyberhh:
    <strong>Do you guys have DOS PCMCIA drivers? I have not been able to find any to make my PCMCIA NIC work from a DOS ghost boot disk.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a boot disk for DOS network access using a 3Com PCMCIA NIC. It works on every Toshiba notebook I've tried, but because of differences in the card services won't work on most other brands. It can be easily modified to work with other NICs too.
    Email me if you're interested.