Red face data transfer ... HELP!!!

anyone out there have any clue as to how i can do this?:

the hardware and OS
    1. toshiba laptop running win98
    2. sony viao running winME
    3. 2 pcmcia ethernet cards
    4. crossover cable

the problem
    1. realestate client has all her programs and files on the win98 laptop (old machine)
    2. client wants her stuff (programs and data) transferred to the winME machine.
    3. i have all the data copied via the network but have no desire to edit the registry and seek out required DLL's any longer to make her junk work.

any suggestions out there in tech land for doing this a bit more easily? (please no answers involving "format winME and install win2K or XP")
    windows (When-Does-OH-S**t): (n) a 32 bit platform running with 16 bit performance with built on an 8 bit foundation that is not worth 2 bits.

One possibility might be to remove both drives and hook them up to a machine in the shop (you'll need 2 laptop to IDE converters) and Ghost the 98 drive to the other drive and then upgrade to 98 to ME.

I always tell customers that I can save data but not applications. They sometimes say that they don't have the disks. I say I would be happy to sell them some.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

Well...
    There once was a program called Quarterdeck CleanSweep.
    it had the Ability to Monitor a program - and make a package that you can install easily into another computer.
    Please take in mind that there are many program who do so - but they are expensive and are very complicated to use.

Good Luck
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

you do know that legally she has to give you the software to xfer like that right?

The data is the easy part, but if they want you to xfer the entire program, reg and all, they have to show they OWN the software

Kinda like Joe Schmo saying he has his own copy of 98 but wants both computers to have it - he HAS to show you 2 legit copies with keys.

McAfee uninstaller does have an option to transport a program to another computer. I've played with this to see if it would really do it, but never got it to work. She really needs the app cd's. ZSome of the real estate progrmas were dos apps as well, and ME does not always like them.

You have to handle her, not the other way around. If what she asks is practical and straightforward, do it. If it requires efforts beyond the normal functioning of the application (hunting dll's, registry exports, various BullSh!t) take the high road and insist on the install CD's as was suggested. Remember, you don't give her advise on selling houses, she will understand that you are the expert with this upgrade, and that you have procedures to follow. You could be walking right into a copyright fraud (as silly as that sounds). As a businessman you will put yourself, your company and her company in the spotlight. Study this software, know how it works, and learn the legalese…it will make you better prepared.

Just explain to her that due to the upgrade of the OS its possible some of her older programs may not be suitable to run on the new system.Then that you require the properly registered installation CD/Disks to install correctly and apply any upgrade patches [if avavilable]as you would also be liable for illegal installation of software for which there were no valid licence.
    You must also make a point that there will be a labour charge as it is possible it could take you several hours to properly install the software and data where possible.

Also keep in mind that as the professional if you do not request the original software and license keys YOU could be liable for software piracy - as in if she gets caught all she has to do is to put the balme on you, and as the professional she sought for help on this issue she was reling on your "expert advice" on how to move the applications - don't mess around - require the CD's.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010