[RESOLVED] Gateway troubles

Thread: [RESOLVED] Gateway troubles

jdptech

Resolved [RESOLVED] Gateway troubles

I recevied a gateway pc from a customer which when booted comes up normal but then say it failed installing these two file " ASPI8dos.sys and ASPI8U2.sys " i know these are adaptec files but why there are not working also im confused by the way c: drive is is different than any drive i have seen does not have a win directory or any thing simlar but the customer said it did work if anyone can please respond

I'd reinstall those programs, and if it dosn't work, you may need to format reinstall. As for the windows directory, they likely changed the folder through windows setup, though I don't know why they would.

will the system come up in windows and will the cd work

Those files are aspi files for SCSI support in DOS and mostly used for SCSI cdrom support in DOS. I am guessing they only used them to load the PC with Windows and they are not needed anymore just delete any reference to them.

jdptech

well i have tried restoring these files and still nothing all it does is ask for a windows 98 cd but i put mine in and it wont recognize it i am thinking it might be a restore disk i think i will try the good old fashioned format C: and start over

Search the HD for WIN.COM, that will tell you what folder Windows is installed into. As far as your problem, remove all references to the files from Config.sys, Autoexec.bat, Win.ini, System.ini, backing up these files before making any changes. Are there any SCSI devices in the system?
    ---
    Back with a vengeance.
    ---
    Try Windows Vista, the CE.ME.NT eXPerience...

Originally posted by Tech22:
    <STRONG>well i have tried restoring these files and still nothing all it does is ask for a windows 98 cd but i put mine in and it wont recognize it i am thinking it might be a restore disk i think i will try the good old fashioned format C: and start over</STRONG>
    You didn't say how old the machine was but, speaking from personal experience, some Gateways require a special diagnostic called gw.exe(?)that tests the drive and writes all zeros to it.
    "what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"