KazaA / Ws2_32.dll error

Thread: KazaA / Ws2_32.dll error

Post KazaA / Ws2_32.dll error

I recently installed KazaA (kazaA.com) onto my Win98se box and didn't like it, so uninstalled via Add/Remove programs and now I cannot get an internet connection via IE 5.5. I can sucessfully log onto my home LAN, and browse other machines on the network, but keep getting a "Server not found" error message. After uninstalling KazaA I got the error message RPCSS caused a invalid page fault in ... so I replaced the file via System file Checker. It additionally gave a error message "Error loading Newdonet3_15.dll . I do not know what program this file is a part of (doesn't seem to be a windows file) and can only assume it's related to the KazaA program. Has anyone come across this problem and how might I go about correcting this problem? The Win98SE box has a PIII 600/128MB RAM/30G HD/ and all critical updates from Microsoft's website current as of 8/2/2001. Thanks in advance

Your problem may be caused by the spyware that is installed with Kazaa. Check out Ad-Aware at <a href="http://www.lavasoftusa.com" target="_blank">www.lavasoftusa.com</a>
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

Wow! 94 spyware files/folders/registry entries on my PC!! And the Newdonet3_15.dll file was a part of the KazaA program. Unfortunately I still have no internet connection on this PC (the other 5 on my LAN are working just fine). AdAware sucessfully removed the spyware but several couldn't be removed, so I ran AdAware with Windows in Safe mode and then it was sucessful at removing the lingering spyware files. I'm thinking of reinstalling IE from disk to see if this helps. I've already reinstalled winsock.dll via System file checker and Uninstalled and reinstalled MS Proxy client - but to no avail. Any more suggestions? Thanks again in advance!

Latest error:

[img]ftp://24.13.96.32/Public/OSes/msp.jpg[/img]

What gives here?

I would dump tcp/ip and DUN and reinstall. You may also want to consider different proxy software. I have used several and found Winproxy by Lan-Projekt to work best.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

Dumped TCP/IP and reinstalled DUN - no cigar. I finally just reinstalled OS and will watch the free/shareware that I install at this point. Thanks to all whom responded! PS - BEWARE OF KazaA!!

My son Nolan thanks you all too!

[img]FTP://24.13.96.32/Public/OSes/nolan_the_thinker.jpg[/img]

Sometimes it is neccessary to to delete the following registry key before DUN:
    the Hkey local machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

Aol will damages this key often. Other programs will cause problems with this key as well.
    I know enough to know that there is alot that I don't know.

I had a similar problem with something called Webhancer that came with Audiogalaxy. Webhancer would not uninstall completely so I deleted its registry keys etc to disable it. Doing that cause me to not be able to get online. I used ad-aware to rid this parasite from my PC. When I tried to delete Webhancer manually I always got access denied errors. Shouldn't spyware that disables part of your PC be considered harrassment?

Unhappy

I can't believe it Identical issue here, nothings the same since I installed the Kazaa Upgrade ware... Can they get away with this crap???

Yeah, let's all demand our money back!
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

[quote]Originally posted by Sen:
    <strong>I can't believe it Identical issue here, nothings the same since I installed the Kazaa Upgrade ware... Can they get away with this crap???</strong><hr></blockquote>

Absolutely they can get away with this crap. You pressed the agree button for the license agreement when you installed the software. Most people don't bother reading this and the spyware companies know it. If you read it carefully there will be a clause in there.

I suggest to everyone that they take the time to read the license agreement for any "freeware" they install on their computer. And for pity's sake, BACKUP YOUR COMPUTER!!!