Screen Saver leaves button on taskbar

Thread: Screen Saver leaves button on taskbar

Question Screen Saver leaves button on taskbar

Running Windows 98SE with all the latest patches. When I go back to the computer after the screen saver has kicked in, there's a button on the taskbar that says "Screen Saver" and it goes away when I click it. Sometimes there is also a blank taskbar button which also goes away if you click on it. I'm using the Marquee screen saver but it also happens with the Mystify screen saver.

I don't use the OpenGL screen savers because they cause my computer to crash and force my video card and CPU to work when they should be idle.

This is not detrimental to the performance of my computer in any way, but it is driving me crazy! How do I stop it?

I've observed this behavior as well on certain computers. I've come to accept it as a fact of life. Does it happen with all your screen savers? If it does, I would suspect a hardware problem (video card maybe). Viral activity may be an extreme, but anything is possible.

I don't prefer screen savers because they suck up processor resources. I just set my monitor to turn itself off. It saves on the electric bill.
    :-)

But of course, it's a personal preference.

Sorry I couldn't suggest anything to help. If anyone else knows a solution, I would like to know as well.

Laterz.
    hey you! i'm into jesus!

if you want to lead the orchestra, sometimes you have to play wierd music.
    -- carl busjahn

My computer behaves the same way

I'm running the "Blank Screen" screen saver
    Windows Millennium
    Intel 1.7Ghz, 1024 RDRAM, Matrox G400 Max 32MB

I would suspect a flaw in the operating system, But how can that be?
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

I have seen this on computer that don't have and have never had a connection to the internet so I am pretty sure that it is not virus related.
    I know enough to know that there is alot that I don't know.

I too have the same on my Computer and seems to only appear when the screen saver has been activated....as to why it happens...I guess just another of thoses unanswered problems in the computer world that will drive us nuts

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

I saw the same behavior in a Slide Show screen saver program I was running some time back. The Slide Show exe program was 16 bit. When I downloaded the 32 bit manager the problem went away. I'm using Desktop Architect now and have not experienced the problem at all.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

[quote]Originally posted by MacGyver:
    <strong>Running Windows 98SE with all the latest patches.</strong><hr></blockquote>

All of the latest patches you say, there's your problem! You may have to remove some of those updates, (like the mapped network drive shutdown problem patch). Here are some instructions from MS. I have tried them on one problems PC, and it didn't work, as I had hoped. Give this a try it might work for you...
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q280/7/22.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=start%20bar&rnk=5&src=DHCS_MSPSS _gn_SRCH&SPR=W98SE" target="_blank">Icon Is Displayed on the Taskbar After Closing the Screen Saver</a>

All of the latest patches you say, there's your problem! You may have to remove some of those updates, (like the mapped network drive shutdown problem patch).

This is right. I have avoided that patch and still gotten it though. The only way I have had any success with keeping trhat problem away is to avoid the mapped drive patch and ALSO the drive cacheing update as well.
    I dont feel tardy...

Thanks ya_know, I searched the MSKB before and came up empty. Thanks for the article, I'll let you know if it worked.