Internet Explorer not connecting

Thread: Internet Explorer not connecting

Post Internet Explorer not connecting

Hello,

I have a machine here with IE 5.0 that is not connecting to the inet via DSL. I used another machine and the DSL works fine. I also switched NIC's and still no connection. I can see the network thru the machine and I can ping IP's over the net, I just can't browse the net. Please help! Thanks

What happens when you run winipcfg? If you get an ip, but it's not a good one, then the tcp/ip stack is corrupt.

You'll have to go to add/remove programs, windows setup tab, communicatons, and uncheck dial-up networking.

Go to network properties and remove everything.

Reboot. (Love ya MS)

Reinstall dail-up networking the same way you removed it. Reinstall all needed networking components.

Reboot. (Love ya Bill)

Should work fine now...
    -- I still do not understand the rampant growth of stupidity in this country.
    <a href="http://www.tabletop-battlezone.com" target="_blank">The TableTop BattleZone</a>

Sounds like your network setup etc is OK, but some setting in IE is screwed. My DSL at work doesn't need proxies etc. configured, so try Tools->Options->Connections->Lan Settings and see if there is a proxy configured, and if so make sure it should be and it's the right setup.
    ---
    Back with a vengeance.
    ---
    Try Windows Vista, the CE.ME.NT eXPerience...

Is the computer getting it's ip address from a DHCP server or is it assigned a static ip?

If your assigning a static ip address make sure you have entered the ip address of the DNS server. If you don't IE 5.0 will not be able to resolve netbios names to ip address and you will get "page not found" for every site you try to visit.

It's getting a IP from a DHCP server, no need for proxy or DNS settings.

Any more ideas? If not I guess it's going to be a Fresh install in new directory(customers doesn't want to).

Can you ping a domain name ie windrivers.com If not check your DNS settings.
    Keep it about the computers....

Not real familiar with DSL but when dial up won't display a page it can be winsock2 in the registry is damaged. removeing dial up networking and deleting the key in the reg for winsock2 and reinstalling DUN and it brings it back. Sorry if this doesn't help.

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Hum.......I just resolve a problem like that yesterday. Go in the Control Panel, Network and delete your card from there. Restart and Windows will reinstall and reconfigure your card.

Good Luck
    My Computer:

PII 350 mhz (still good!)
    Soyo SY-6IWM Intel i810 chipset (Disabled)
    256 mo RAM PC-133
    HSP56 MicroModem (XP drivers)
    Sound Blaster 16 (XP drivers)
    Radeon 32 mo SDR (6.13.3276 XP)
    Windows XP Pro FR (Build 2600)
    Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse
    Logitech SoundMan Speakers
    CD-ROM 40X
    LG 16X10X40 CD Writer
    Epson Stylus C60

I have this problem all the time at home. Usually it is resolved by going into the routers web based setup,( I have a Linksys BEFSR41), and on the status page click disconnect, then connect again. Resolves the problem almost every time. If that does not work, try shutting down the DSL modem(if external) and then turning it back on and letting it re-sync
    Hope it helps
    Jim
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.